Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Judging Jesus

I find it quite easy to say, "Why me?"

Why am I 31 and single? Why am I not thinner? Why does ministry seem so difficult when I feel I am doing what God told me to do? Why I am so stupid? Why can't I be rich?

Perhaps, though, the question I should be asking is not "Why me?" but rather "What now?" I cannot control the whys of things. Even though I feel I am a fairly intelligent person (doesn't everyone), I am not sure I could understand why a lot of things happen without completely losing my sanity. I am not even sure I can try.

What I can control and answer for myself is the "What Now?" question. Someone is hurting. What now? Well, I help them as best as I know how. What do I do about my shortcomings? I take steps to address them with God's help. The answers to the "What now?" questions are not always simple, but they are always practical and lived answers.

I may not be able to understand or prevent tragedy. I may not be able to live life without making a few dumb decisions (or a lot of dumb decisions). I can, however, find meaning in those situations by how I address them with the way I live my life, by God's grace.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...