Tuesday, January 18, 2005

More quotes for today

Only those who resist temptation know how strong it is--
C.S. Lewis

You use a glass mirror to see your face, and a work of art to see your soul--
George Bernard Shaw

Man has always tended to be intolerant toward that thing he has not taken the time to understand--
Robert R Brown

Few sinners are saved after the first 20 minutes of the sermon--
Mark Twain

When a woman is too old to be attractive to a man, she turns to God--
Honore de Balzac

I have noticed again and again since I have been in the church that interest in ecclesiastical matters is often a prelude to insanity--
Evelyn Waugh

He who throws mud loses ground--
Adelai Stevenson

If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow--
John Wayne
(also the motto of the Bush administration)

The word good has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I would call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.
Chesterton

Personally I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught--
Churchill

True godliness does not turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavors to mend it.--
William Penn

2 comments:

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Ooooh...Churchill. Love him. More quotes from him.

Where do you get all these quotes, anyway? Are they all from books you're reading? Or do you have a quote-of-the-day calendar? :) Ha.

But I'd love to see some Coupland. I may even post a couple on here. I have some favorites. Lynn gave me a great one from Emily Dickenson about hope.

Unfortunately, I bought these "Note to Self" stickers to put on birthday cards and such that are from famous authors/actors/scientists, etc. Celebrities, I guess. Anyway, they're pretty pointless. Not that what they have to say doesn't make sense or seems simple, but a lot of them are not reflective at all of what the author or composer or whatever actually wrote about/believed. The ones that really bother me are below:

"Life without music would be a mistake." - Nietzsche

"Imagination is the highest kite that one can fly." -Lauren Bacall

"There is nothing ugly; I never say an ugly thing in my life." -John Constable

Some of my favorites are:

"Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor." -Truman Capote

"The sleep of reason begets monsters." -Francisco Goya

Friar Tuck said...

I get most of my quotes from one of three sources:

1./ Quote books or websites

2./Beginnings of chapters in books

3./ Quotes I have written down in my quote journal.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...