Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Pray Naked

A few years ago I was into listening to a Christian alternative group called the 77s. One of their albums was titled "Pray Naked". The idea is that we need to come to God as our open authentic selves.

Recently I found out a biblical truth that supports this fact. The Greek root for the word truth is the adjective "uncovered". Being true about something is uncovering it.

This got me thinking. What is the essence of living a true, honest life? It is living with your life uncovered. Not hiding your joys or your hurts. Not pretending to be someone you are not. Being an open book. Real. Authentic.

When I was at my ethics training for my ordination requirements I probed the instructor about physical boundaries in relationships while on ministerial staff. Her answer was profound. She said that nothing could be a secret, and that if you had secret behavior, it was most likely unethical behavior. As a believer in Christ, I must embody truth by living an uncovered life.

Strangely enough, much of psychological treatment is also about uncovering, and thus truth telling. Therapy is based on the belief that when one discovers and acts positively about the truth in one's life, one is healed.

This truth also made me think about Christ. Christ says he is the way, the truth, and the life. When he says this in a sense what he is saying is that he is God uncovered. Jesus is God uncovered for everyone to see. How cool!!

No comments:

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...