Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Travel log




Today I went on a little road trip for work. I made the trip to Denver. And, most of the trip I alternated between thinking I was beginning to understand the city, and pulling my hair out because of all the construction.

A little hint to small town drivers. Trying to navigate major Denver thoroughfares and read Mapquest directions at the same time is not always the best idea.

Anyway...

I went and did my hospital visit first. We have a high schooler that is having problems holding anything down, so the doctors transferred her to Denver to run tests. They think it is probably ulcers. She hasn't eaten anything she can keep down for longer than an hour in 7 days. Poor thing.

Once I navigated Interstate 25 road construction, Colorado Ave, and parking at the hospital, the visit was really fun. I felt like I got to know the kid I have been working with and the parent in a new, more meaningful way.

Then, I went to the seminary bookstore at Illif Seminary. Illif is well known as probably the most liberal ministerial training school in the country. My experience at the bookstore affirmed this. Besides students and staff cussing like sailors (which I am not immune to myself...but generally not in that setting--ok I dont cuss like a sailor, I just drop an occasional word when I am angry), the books and classes that were offered there reminded me why I was eager to leave seminary.

There are the specialized books--A Southeast Asian Gay/Lesbian Ecotheology Text

There are the boring books---History of Architecture in Pre-exilic Israel

The obvious leftist political bent books etc etc.

Fascinating people watching though.

Then I went to Mardels, an Educational and Christian Supply store to pick up supply stuff for the youth room and youth group. And I picked up some nerf finger rockets for myself.

After that I wanted to check out our new denominational offices that are on the South Side of Denver. That was fun. Got to say hello to all the staff, and got to meet my buddy Mike there. We got dinner in Castle Rock and the Rockyard Grill and Brewery on the way home.


All in all an excellent day. Even if I was about to rip my hair out while stuck in traffic all over Denver.

5 comments:

The Gig said...

Sounds like what I put up with each day -- construction, construction, construction, closed roads, detours, etc. Mapquest is completely useless in this case. In fact, Mapquest is not always correct in the first place. Good Post

rubyslipperlady said...

Well, you're always up for an adventure, right?

San Nakji said...

A Southeast Asian Gay/Lesbian Ecotheology Text? I was looking for one of those!

The Israel architecture book sounds quite interesting to me... I guess I am boring too ;o)

I didn't realise you lived near Denver. It must be cold there now. Apart from being near South Park, I know nothing about that city...

SUPER said...

Don't miss that traffic at all..or all the million one ways!

feels good b n FREE said...

missed u clint!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...