Sunday, March 12, 2006

Classics for a reason.

I don't necessarily enjoy reading. I enjoy learning....and if one wants to learn about thinking and ideas, reading is the best way to do that. It is a means to an end.

In my line of work, it is easy to read about the trendy stuff. It is easy to try to be on the cutting edge of what is going on, and try to ride the wave of the latest fad.

Yet, I find it much more beneficial sometimes to return to the classics as minister.

Tonight was one of those nights as I started reading through my quotebook (where I collect my quotes...I have lost two of these on airplanes but have held on to the one I have now.

I was skimming through the IMITATION OF CHRIST and saw a few quotes that really spoke to me:

He who superficially trims his temptations and does not pull them out by the root accomplishes little.--(16)

The beginning of all evil temptation lies in a flighty mind and insufficient trust in God. (17)

Leave the hollow things for hollow people, but you fulfill those things that God has commanded you. (29)

If your heart is right then every creature is a mirror of life to you and a book of holy learning, for there is no creature--no matter how fleeting or lowly--that does not reveal God's goodness.

It is in disordered loves and empty fears that all disquiet of heart and distraction of mind have their orgin (120)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... I'm going to have to put that book on my reading list. Every single one of those quotes are great! There are so many things I would love to say about each one. Some of them really hit home with the studies I've been doing, and stuff I've learned about myself during my prayer time--It would just take so much time and space. I can't wait to read the book...I'm going to put it on my list now! Thanks for sharing!

feels good b n FREE said...

It is in disordered loves and empty fears that all disquiet of heart and distraction of mind have their orgin (120)

i LOVE this quote!!
it resonates with me!!

Dreaming again said...

My 16 year old is crazy for quotes.

I love the classics, especially in Christian literature.

CS Lewis being my favorite most of the time. (except, when he's stepping on my toes :) )

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...