Sunday, March 05, 2006

Wanderlust











I think I have a serious case of wanderlust. Either that or I just have not found my place in the world yet.

In my 32 years, I have lived in 26 differences residences (that does include dorm rooms, it does not include where my mother lived after she moved up the road to Soldotna and I was still in school). In the process of this I have lived in 15 communities...although I only lived in a couple of them for the summer, and a couple of them were "suburbs" of Roseburg, OR.

So, after about 3 years I get tired of being in the same place. I think my time is through there. I feel like I need to move on. Sometimes I do. Most of the time I do. Sometimes I could have stayed longer in one place. The last place I lived at I lived there for 5 years. A personal record!

Part of wanderlust is the thought that "the grass is greener on the other side". I have fallen victim to this thinking at times. Sometimes it is true. Sometimes it is not.

Part of wanderlust is being a young, educated professional. I went to three institutions of higher education for 7 years total. Then I took an entry level job. I was there 5 years.

The position I am in now would be considered a more "mid level" job.I suspect I will be here between 3-4 years.

Sometimes I wonder, am I ever going to settle down somewhere. Am I ever going to have old house with the white picket fence and the little rugrats in a community where everybody knows who I am? Would I be satisfied there? I am not sure.

Maybe my wanderlust will have me ever wandering, wandering, wandering from place to place trying to make a difference where I land, but never really landing anywhere.

What about you? How many of you are more movers and wanderers? How many of you tend to stay in or around one place for all your life? Do you like being the way you are, or do you wish for something different?

10 comments:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Ooohhh, Jack Johnson. That makes my whole day better.

I get really intense feelings of wanderlust when I see interstates. Maybe it's my Cherokee blood, but I always associate solitary travel with spiritual and emotional enlightenment. Other than that I'm a total homebody. I used to get homesick just going to sleep-overs!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the wanderlust, though haven't moved as often, or don't have the will to count up all the places I've lived. But, staying in one place and in the same job at that place, well I also prefered the 3 year time span. Four years and I thought I'd really done something. Counted up the number of years I've lived in this apartment - nearly 6, the number of years I've been at this job 6 1/2. Wow! Personal record. After the 4th, and into the 5th year, it got easier to scratch my itchy feet, and stop reading the want ads. But, I remember my days of change fondly.

SUPER said...

I can tell you 2 places that if I make it back to...I'm not sure I'd ever leave again. Colorado and Tennessee. However, anyplace else..I don't think will ever satisfy me. Liberal...come on? Need I say more?

MZPEACH said...

Oh I have been around Friar. Your last two posts were great by the way, very thought provoking and also true. I have just been quiet that's all.

I too moved around alot when I was younger. I went to five different highschools. I think that is why I really don't like change/moving. I have been in my apartment complex for three years now, even though I should have moved a long time ago.

If you were to move, would you move to another state? If so, which one?

rubyslipperlady said...

OK, you and I keep talking about changing, moving, new jobs, let's just do it. That's what I finally did with grad school. Got tired of talking about it and just did it.

I too am great at a job for about 2-3 years. Sterling was 5, but was ready for a changed, and I LOVED that job and place and people, as anyone who knows me knows.

Are we bound to wander aimlessly? NO. Are we bound to wander, allowing God to teach us, use us and minister through us in a variety of situations and places. Yup.

It's exciting. It's scarey. It's sometimes wearying (don't know if that's a word), but right now. I"ve recently come to that conclusion. Maybe the hometown will always be L-town and I'll never really 'settle' anywhere but move around serving God in random (or not so random) places. The relationships that I have gained as I've done this so far are irreplaceable. God puts people in our lives for a season, maybe I'm just a season kinda gal.

feels good b n FREE said...

i'm open to moving...but am comfortable with some "sameness"

i believe my steps are ordered by God...

so r u moving?

gloria said...

Currently I am in the process of joining a community of people that desire to "stay put" and to let that stability press us toward transformation, intimacy and God. I'm hungry for those things. I'm ready to enter in.

San Nakji said...

There is nothing wrong with wanderlust. Without it, my ancestors never would have come here!
I am all for security and staying in one place. I would love to be more mobile... but a part of me just wants to travel, without a care in the world...

The Gig said...

Your post reminds me of my job. In June I will have been on my job for 23 years. I have been transferred to four different departments and have had approximately 13 supervisors. I have been in my home for approximately 34 years.

I am sort of content where I am in my life. I'm hoping to move into a condo by the time I retire in 2008. Thanks for visiting my blog.

As far as your life goes, I don't think I have to tell you what to do, but I will say to have faith and keep praying.

Anna said...

You reminded me of Zeppelin's 'Ramble On' :) I believe I may have the worst kind of wanderlust - I want to travel the world (and have as much as grad school allows), but I am incredibly attached to my family. They are my anchor. However, all of my closest friends have moved half the world away, which says something about me. Do you think one can work it out of their system?

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...