Friday, March 28, 2008

Caregiving Teams

Our church has several persons with profound personal struggles. This is a great thing in my opinion, but at times it is a challenge. It is a good thing because churches should be places for people to heal and grow. It is a challenge because churches are often pushed beyond their core strengths in dealing with people

At one point in a recent stafff discussion about how to manage a rather needy person's demands for more support with certain issues, I shared with a staff person that we should make our continued assistance with this person contingent on them bringing us on a caregiving team with other people in our community working with this person. At first it was just a spur of the moment thought, but now I am beginning to think this is really a good idea.

Too often when working with people it has become very clear to me that I am not getting the whole story from someone. I then come to find out that I am being told one story, another caregiver is being told another story, and I feel like I am being manipulated and played.

Maybe as pastors, when we are asked to help someone, especially on an ongoing basis, we should insist on more transparency between other caregivers and pastors. I think this might be especially helpful when financial support is requested. Even if not, it might save us all a lot of time.

Why aren't we more focused on developing caregiving teams?

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

This is a good point! It would make the help more effective in the long run and foster better community.

reliv4life said...

ok...do not leave me in suspense, where are you moving???

rubyslipperlady said...

No kidding, this is a great plan. Now for implementation. More time. We have a lot of care givers working with PLWHA and they are doing an amazing job trying to put all the pieces together but it takes a lot of time.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...