Monday, March 31, 2008

Stories from the Weekend

This last weekend we were in Fowler candidating to be their pastor. There were lots of stories to share. Thought I would relay a little about the weekend.

We played golf on Saturday. On that round I had the best game of my life through 6 holes. Then I choked. I had 28 through 6, and then had three penalty strokes and a whiff on the final three. Arghhhh. I still had the best score though, which made me happy!

We visited La Junta, and was amazed at the age of women with their second bun in the oven, child in tow, and baby daddy with them at Wendys.

We drove through La Junta, Rocky Ford, Swink, Manzanola, Crowley, Ordway, and Olney Springs.

We stayed at Bushy's Blue Sky Motel. Bushy's is the only motel in town. Bushy himself is the mayor, who is up for reelection on Tuesday. Bushy is a retired Kansas Highway Patrolman, and we got to visit with him a little. He talked about the old ladies he had lunch with as his girlfriends, and how he replaced the tvs in the hotel by transporting the tvs from La Junta by motorcycle. We never saw Mayor Bushie out of overalls. Bushy made us laugh a lot.

We had a dinner at CJs Roadside Grill, which closed promptly at 8pm. The grocery store closes at 6pm Monday-Saturday.

On Sunday I got to mingle with the congregation during the youth breakfast fundraiser. Then I preached and led worship.

After church there was the monthly business meeting/potluck. It was fun. After a few questions of me the church voted on my candidacy. It was a unanimous vote to call us.

As soon as the vote was done, the trustee initiated a conversation about the need for renovation of the parsonage. They wanted Jen to have more cupboard space. One of these changes was the shower, which is poorly concieved and not really tall enough for me to use. As this was discussed, one man said they needed to start with remodeling the bathrooms in the parsonage. He said, "You know a feller has gotta shower at least once or twice a week I suppose." They are also looking at adding a dishwasher, cabinets, and making a few other minor repairs. They are working on getting some new chairs for worship leaders too. It is exciting to see people so eager to be supportive and care.

It is exciting to think we will be in a three bedroom house soon. Jennifer will be able to get a dog. I will be able to work on my houseplant habit on the enclosed back porch. And the commute is only about 15 feet to the office.

7 comments:

Aphra said...

"was amazed at the age of women with their second bun in the oven". Were they old or young? When I first read it I was inspired thinking that at 36 maybe I was not too old if everyone else was doing it. Then I read it again and thought maybe they are young and it is not such a good idea for me!!! (My husband is sick right now, so it's not really an option- I'm just feeling older)

About the dreams, I have been writing them down since I was a teenager, but I used to use journals and I would loose them and have 5 on the go at a time! I found having a blog much easier to find! I just try to write down what I remember- sometimes that's more than others!

Heidi said...

It sounds so exciting. I wish you both the best!

jecaad said...

I'm excited about the your house plant habit... our back porch will be a sweet greenhouse! :) As long as my new DOG doesn't eat everything... he he he :)

reliv4life said...

Cool stories... If I remember right, you are kinda a shower fiend, as in twice a week would probably kill you. Hope they get it fixed, otherwise you could shower standing on your knees I suppose. I am happy for Jen to get her dog, although I must admit I was kinda hoping there might be thoughts of starting a family in this small town?? I guess Jen has years to wait for that according to the other members of the community...

Friar Tuck said...

@ Michele-
Jen and I do not plan on having children. We are too old and I dont feel confident I would do a good job with them

Friar Tuck said...

@ aphra--the women were around twenty at best, and on their second kids. And obviously with different fathers for each kid (the kid has a different ethnicity than baby daddy).

reliv4life said...

friar, interesting... you guys know better than anyone what is right for you.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...