Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Psalm of Thanksgiving


Psalm 100
 1 Shout triumphantly to the LORD, 
all the earth! 
 2 Serve the LORD with celebration! 
   Come before him with shouts of joy! 
3 Know that the LORD is God— 
   he made us; we belong to him.[a] 
   We are his people, 
   the sheep of his own pasture. 
4 Enter his gates with thanks; 
   enter his courtyards with praise! 
   Thank him! Bless his name! 
5 Because the LORD is good, 
   his loyal love lasts forever; 
   his faithfulness lasts 
   generation after generation.
(Common English Bible)

I have always loved this Psalm. It is probably the most common psalm to pray or read during the day of Thanksgiving. Sometimes, when I read passages in a different version I notice different things. This was true as I read this passage in the Common English Bible.

Notice, as you read, the short declarative statements. Many of them, as I read them here, are punctuated with exclamation points. They are commands. Specifically, they are joyful, even jubilant commands.

Most specifically, verse 5 stands out to me. It speaks to me because it explains the first 4 verses. We worship joyfully and praise jubilantly for the following reasons:

  1. The Lord is good
  2. His love is loyal
  3. His love lasts forever
  4. His faithfulness goes on not just for us, but for generations to come, even those yet unborn
I am reminded as I read this that God is full of grace. He treats me better than I deserve. I owe Him everything.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...