Thursday, December 08, 2005

Quotes from this book:

SEEING IS BELIEVING BY GREGORY BOYD


a person can believe Christianity is true, but it will affect his or her life only to the extent that it is also experienced as real (12)

people who are passionate about prayer are people who, usually without knowing it, use their imaginations in prayer (15)

There is simply nothing anyone can do to improve on what God has done for us by placing us in Jesus Christ (28)

The first reason the hiddenness of the flesh is so destructive, then, is because it constitutes a fundamental contradiction to God's design for people. Secrecy is foriegn to our created natures. (49)

For we are as healthy as our picture of God is accurate (56)

By keeping sin, pain, failure, and sickness hidden, Satan can ensure they will bring about destruction. (63)

5 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

Alright, enough already! No more listings of books that I want to read until the thesis is done. I'm weak, I can't say no! Next time I'm out there I'm going to the library o' the Friar and checking out as much as I can carry on the plane. I'm a grad student, I'm used to carrying incredibly heavy bags.

Friar Tuck said...

Amy if you really want to hear more from this guy you can...

audit a class from Bethel, cause he usually teaches one class a semester there

OR

go to his church, because he is a pastor of a church in MSP

rubyslipperlady said...

anything more at BU = PU? Let me just say, "HELL NO!"

Gossip Cowgirl said...

This is such a great book. I love it.

Anonymous said...

hi

could you give a review of this book. Why did you like it? it is worth buying?

Your snibbits are great, but .... I want MORE of what you think too!!!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...