Thursday, December 29, 2005

It is supposed to take time: Eros and Faith Part 2

There is a man in a town I used to work in that is a pastor at a local church in the area. Within the first couple minutes of meeting him while we were umpiring a baseball game together. In between innings he got two inches from my face and asked me, "Do you know JeSUS?" I said that I did. He said, "Are you sure?" I answered that, "I think so cause he made me his friend when I was little, and still talk to him on a regular basis." Curtis patted me on the back. And although we both share a passion for Christ, his antics made me so angry I wanted to punch him in the mouth.

I have often wondered why this enraged me. In the last couple of days I am beginning to learn. Put simply, Curtis' evangelism efforts were a lot more about him than they were about loving God or caring for me. It was about him asserting dominance, not humbly sharing simple truths of the Spirit. It was about him feeling good about himself and his faithfulness, not a genuine caring for my spiritual condition. Like two people having a quickie sexual encounter five minutes after meeting, he was more about getting his selfish desires met and me screaming "Yes! OH! Yes!" so that all his friends at the other end of the parking lot can hear me than he was in truly caring about me.

Now at first, the parallel of unhealthy, immoral sexual behavior and evangelism may seem inappropriate to you. But let me remind you that the Scripture refers to following Jesus as being born again, and unfaithfulness to God to a woman hoaring around on her husband. Both images have something to do with this type of relationship.

John Bowen in his book Evangelism for "Normal" People made this parellel so compellingly in the first ten pages of his book that I was convinced I needed the book for a resource.

Bowen quotes a Canadian author (Sandra Tsing Loh) shares about having a wonderful date with a man she had a lot in common with. Then all of the sudden out of nowhere he asks her,

"'Have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior?'
Just like that. No warm up. No mood music. No idle teasing around the issue to loosen the soil. Had Jeff have just reached out and grabbed my breast I would not have been more shocked."


Margret Atwood says a similar thing in a short story she wrote...

"Religious people of any serious kind made her nervous: they were like men in raincoats who might or might not be flashers. You would be going along in a normal way, and then there could be a swift movement and you would look down to find the coat wide open and nothing under it but some pant legs held up by rubber bands."

Let me suggest that a faith-sharing relationship and a sexually intimate relationship should both take time to develop. As a Christian, I believe that sexual intimacy works best when it takes place in the context of a committed relationship (marriage). Sharing one's spiritual beliefs works best in this context too (a relationship where care has been communicated and established). When you take time to know someone, care for someone, and love someone you each feel more willing to be open and vulnerable. When new life emerges from your time together, that life is better nurtured and cared for within that context. "Hit it and quit it" faith-sharing may lead to new life in Christ, but often times it leaves the person who made the choice to follow Christ ill-equipped in developing that faith, and quickly thinking they may abort Christianity.

More on this later. These are just a few thoughts.

7 comments:

see-through faith said...

excellent post. This really spoke to me !!

Keep walking with God and then sharing what happens on your blog. This kind of writing feeds my spirit, increases my faith and makes me whole again.

blessings for 2006

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

I love the quotes and the metaphor. Well said!

Anonymous said...

Your comment last night on stf made me laugh so much - thank you :)

I left a reponse, but really want to stop by and thank you for your friendship and encouragement over the past few months.

We may never meet in this lifetime (but who knows) but I include you among my dear friends.

May God bless your socks off this coming year, fill you to overflowing and yeah make you laugh too.

Let 2006 be the year of God's favour on your life brother!

San Nakji said...

Hey Clint,

No post for a few days. Taking it easy?

Thanks for the comment on my year review. I appreciate the time you took to give me your opinion. All opinions are welcome and I value yours.

Happy New Year!

Brotha Buck said...

Happy New Year, Clint. Hey, and I do have that book you mentioned, WILD AT HEART. I had trouble with it, so my wife read it for me, and loved it. She bought the woman version, and now, I'm considering giving it another try.

Drea Inspired said...

I love this: "humbly sharing simple truths of the Spirit"

You know, I would be thrilled if a guy came at me like that on the first date! It would take away certain pressures, but sometimes that type of guy may have some old-fashioned values that while I respect, just can't get with.

Happy New Year!

Hasan Mubarak said...

Happy New Year! Friar.

May this year bring you more of happiness and prosperity...

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...