Tuesday, January 03, 2006

CSPAN SERINDIPITY

I was clicking the channels last night after Room Raiders was over on MTV. It was 11PM and I was about to go over to the fitness center to work out. But I accidentally clicked up (to CSPAN) instead of down (to check if CMT was doing videos on New Years Day). I did not get out of the house until midnight.

Why? Ward Churchill was giving a talk to a small group in San Francisco about his new book. The book is entitled "Kill the Indian, Save the Man" and was about the evils done through the residential boarding school programs that many Indians were sent to from around the country. I was transfixed, because he was utterly brilliant.

From the late 1800s to around 1980, many Native American children in Canada and the US were forcibly removed from their families and taken to residential boarding schools all around the country. These schools were ended in Canada when a boy was found frozen to death trying to walk a 1000 miles home to Manitoba in frigid temperatures with just a windbreaker.

Step by step Churchill laid out his case. Although I think I knew more about this phenomenon than 99 percent of America before the show, I was blown away by some of the truths that he systematically shared about how the Indian school program was used in an attempt to destroy Native culture.


Think on these things:


Students were rarely allowed to be somewhere close to home. In fact, they were shipped far away from home and family to places like Carslile Indian School (NJ) and Haskell Indian School (KS).

Carslile indian schools principal had no educational experience. He was infact, a prison warden before he was commissioned to begin the Indian school program. And this is the way he ran the Indian schools.

Boys were forced to have crew cuts the minute they entered the school. (Supposedly because they were lice riden, but this was really an attempt to strip away Native Culture) After that they were stripped naked, herded into showers, hosed down with insecticides, and forced to scrub with wire brushes and lye soap.

After a short amount of time, Indians were not allowed to speak their native tongue. If they did so, they were punished, sometimes beaten, and in some schools their tongues had a pin forced through them to remind them to speak the proper language.

Students were forced into bunkhouses to live in. This created numerous health problems. These health problems were then blamed on their cultural background.

Half of all children who entered Indian schools, especially before 1960, when they were in 3rd grade, died before they were allowed to go home. Churchill compares the death rates at concentration (not extermination, but concentration) camps in Germany in WW2. Survival rates are comparable in America at about the same time in history with Indian boarding schools.

Students only went to school 4-5 hours in the morning. The afternoon was left for vocational education (i.e. domestic work or factory work) for about 6 hours. The Indian schools sold the labor to fund the schools. And they spent half of what was spent to care for children in orphanages that were similar at the same time.

Students were not allowed to go home in the summer. Instead they were sent as cheap labor (children in 3rd grade mind you--and up to around 15 or 16 yrs)on farms in places like Southern Colorado (from Haskell in Lawrence KS). They were paid very little, and most of their pay went to the schools again.

At least half, and in some schools up to 100 percent of students were abused, often sexually, while in these schools that were not of their own choosing.

Well....that is a start. He talked rapid-fire for around an hour.

Today I am grieved about this. I want to talk to the people I knew, from both sides of this equation. Unfortunately, they have all passed away.

13 comments:

San Nakji said...

I guess at the time people felt they were helping the 'savages'. I like to think we have moved on from this, but somehow I doubt it.

The same thing happened in Australia with the Aborigines, only much more recently. Up until perhaps the 60s, children were routinely taken from their parents and adopted out to white people in the hope that they would turn into good Australians. As you can imagine there are a lot of messed up Aboriginals looking for answers now...

May I ask your particular interest in this Friar?

Fahd Mirza said...

Goodness me, another example of systematic elimination.

SUPER said...

Examples such as this anger me to see how ignorant and egotistical Americans have been and still are. I'm not sure why we always assume OUR way is right and that WE are the higher force in everything. It irritates me and saddens me.

Anonymous said...

:(

Lord in your mercy, forgive what was done by our ancestors. Help us NEVER to do this again.

I . had. no . idea. !

(came here to say I linked to somethng int he advent devotional that gives a glimpse into what I think about inclusive language .. we can talk more on it later

back to my studies

(oh and thanks for your support friendship encourgement and correction /advice. I appreciate it all)

rubyslipperlady said...

I was aware of this but not that Haskell was originally such a school. I know a bit about that school now and it is much better by the way. A real college, not a slave school trying to eliminate a culture, but one trying to encourage it.

MZPEACH said...

Wow, this is a very interesting post. I am about to re-read it to make sure I have really obtained the information.
I am still in disbelief that it was still going on up to 1980.

Friar Tuck said...

@san nakji--a couple of things in my personal history and an experience I had last summer.

Personal history. My mother dated/lived with a Hopi for several years until his death when I was 16. They were together longer than my parents were. He was an alcoholic. Instead of being put in an Indian school, he was taken from his family and put in an adoptive situation. I heard stories and was spurred to research on this issue. His son, who was also around my age, died tragically about 5 years ago as well.

My grandmother on my father's side taught at Chemowa Indian School for several years. She died last summer.

I also spent a summer as a missionary in a Native Village in Alaska. A pretty low key affair where you build relationships and meet needs and such and share faith when the oppotunity arises in a town of 60. Talked to several people there that went through that system and then moved home.

Finally, I was in a small town on another mission/service (painting houses/doing VBS) project last summer, and was deeply offended at how the other people from other places in the country dealt with a lice outbreak considering this history. And their ignorance of this history.

San Nakji said...

Wow, thanks for that. What an interesting life you have had!

Drea Inspired said...

Yes, it's a sad thing. The government's policy toward Native Americans was annihilation...genocide, plain and simple. People really should research this stuff for themselves...not just on policies towards Native Americans and African Americans, but others as well.

Fahd Mirza said...

Friar how long you lived in Alaska? Would it be possible for your to post about the life there? Just curious about Alaska.

San Nakji said...

Yes, that would be facinating!

Brotha Buck said...

I have a very good...let me correct you...native american friend who writes books with native american themes for kids. I'll have to forward your post to her, she'd be interested.

Friar Tuck said...

Fahd, I dont live in Alaska now. I did in High School, it is where my mother lives, and it along with Southern Oregon is where I consider home.

I live in the state of Colorado, right next to Pike's Peak, a 14,000+ mountain.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...