Tuesday, January 17, 2006

What happens when you don't have a social life

Last night I got sucked into a movie on television.

The name of the movie was **blushes**, Crossing Delancy.

It was a chick flick. Set in a Jewish neighborhood in New York.

Actually the movie was interesting because it got me thinking about something. See, the whole story was about this woman who gets set up with this guy and she sees that he is a good guy but thinks that she could do better.

There is something that is a turn off about being with a man that owns and runs a pickle shop, and that was matched to her by a matchmaker.

More and more the woman in the story sees what a good man he is, but he is not her ideal. She thinks she can do better. More exciting. More handsome. Yet she still finds him intriguing.

The other thing that is more subtle and behind the scenes is how his goodness reflects his Jewish faith. He takes in people who are without a home. He cares for the old men in his neighborhood. He honors his parents. He deals honestly in his business.

I guess I liked it cause it dealt with chick flick type of issues in a different way. A way that was modern and full of people with faults, but at the same time it was a morality tale of sorts. And it was a romance movie that seemed to say that there was more to love and marriage that raging hormones and instant attraction. It spoke a lot more to the importance of integrity and fidelity and goodness.

And it got me to thinking....

I think a lot of times in a lot of things in life we think life is about bigger and better. If we are single we think that...this person might be good and nice...but I could find someone more exciting. And so we let a lot of good and nice people move on by because they dont seem to be a "catch" or our ideal, and then we find out later that we should have gotten to know that person a little bit better.

Sometimes the same thing can happen with friendships. And we take friends for granted.

Sometimes it happens with work and with lots of things.

And sometimes this happens in the way we understand the faith aspect of our life to. We think it is alright, but plain and ordinary. So we do not give it much value. Only to discover later how beautiful and passionate and meaningful it becomes when we invest ourselves in it.

Don't get me wrong....I dont think we should settle in life. But sometimes golden jewels come in tattered containers. And lifeless manequins are always well dressed.

13 comments:

San Nakji said...

I think this Chick Flick made you think too much.... ;o)

Gretchen said...

Wow, so true... that's powerful stuff right there! It brought to mind how often I take for granted people or situations that need to be appriciated now.

rubyslipperlady said...

OK, first, how could you NOT love a man who owns a pickle shop. I mean, think of all of those free pickles. Have I ever mentioned my love for pickles? Misi Smith and I stopped for a tour at a pickle factory in Indiana where there were a plethora of pickles to partake of and purchase. YUMMY!

OK, now I don't even remember what else I was going to say. I off to find a pickle.

rubyslipperlady said...

Alrighty then, good thoughts. So true and often I've seen this in my life, even recently. I'm a hoarder, too. I save 'special' things for 'special' occassions. WHY? Now is what God has given me and I should share with those who are around me now, not wait for the later that may or may not happen.

If I had a TV, I would definatley rent this one.

SUPER said...

I had something to say..Until I read my total moron of a sister's comment..and now all I got is...ARE WE REALLY RELATED?! AMY, YOU'RE A FREAK!

Friar Tuck said...

@ Sarah--still would love to hear what you have to say.

rubyslipperlady said...

Pickles, I'm telling ya. YUMMY! In a very different way than Tom Brady, by the way.

SUPER said...

Well, there have been people (way back in the day) that asked me out or wanted to date..and I just wasn't interested. Not that I didn't like them, but more as just a friend. Looking back, I think a couple of them would have definitely been worth my time. It takes maturity to realize that you can't always judge a book by it's cover and that a great friend is a great place to start a relationship!
Unfortunately for me, those few I was speaking of are now all married..2 of them, to friends of mine. Guess someone was more open than I was!

Friar Tuck said...

I watched Love Monkey last night. Fabulous show...like a SEX and the City for guys, only more PG13.

One of the quotes:

"If you are going to spend all your time looking for the perfect branch on the perfect tree....you are going to be one lonely monkey"

Aphra said...

Thank you for writing about this movie. For where I am in my life right now, I think it would be a good thing if I rented it. Sounds like it gives a good perspective and I need that.

Love Monkey, however, I will take a pass on :)

SUPER said...

only saw about 10 minutes of Love Monkey, but will prob have to start watching it. I love Tom Cavanaugh. Still mad they took Ed off the air.

no more said...

I like that movie, because we often care too much about what others think. It seems like she was consumed with that, having to tell family and friends what he does. We judge people too much, and dont' stick up for our choices. The same topic also brought up in "green Card".

see-through faith said...

interesting. Not really sure what a chick flick is though.

I've been to the cinema twice in half a year - both in the week after Christmas. Narnia and Pride and Prejudice. Loved them both for different reasons.

This film sounded interesting though. At home I don't watch tv - except on Sats for the detective series on Saturday night - with my teenage daughter. She makes us popcorn too. I love it that we have that hour together. It takes precedence over a lot but not all.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...