Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cry, Cry, Cry

I have a couple of conversations lately on the subject of crying. All of these conversations have been with women. At sometime in these conversations we get to a discussion of how often each one of us cries. The women say once a week or once a month. I say once every year or two.

This generally shocks the female in the conversation. Are you just unemotional? Are you cold-hearted? How do you function and keep your sanity? What's wrong with you? Don't you like to cry? Don't you feel better after you do so?

Here is my general answer, in outline form (sort of):

1. Everyone has an initial emotional trigger. For some people it is crying. For some people it is sadness. For me it is anger. My first response when I get emotional is "fight or flight". I either want to punch something or run as far away from it as possible. My first emotion is not to cry. Crying happens in me when someone hits something deep below the surface.

2. I hate to cry for the same reason I have never been drunk. I have a little bit of a control freak in me. I feel out of control of things when I cry. And if I cry in front of others I feel weak and vulnerable. The only time this was not the case and I cried like a baby was at my sister's wedding reception. I cannot explain this. Except....I love my baby sister.

3. I am not an unemotional person. I am personally moved by many things, including sometimes getting a little bit misty (which does not count as crying in my opinion). Not everyone vents their emotions and feeling through tears. Although, from what I have seen, those who do get their way more often.

What about all of you out there. How often do you cry? What kinds of things move you to tears the most?

5 comments:

San Nakji said...

I used to cry a lot, but somehow old age has jaded me. You are right that crying does make you lose control. While a good cry is sometimes needed, I think like you, only once every year or two would be enough. Also, you are right in saying the crying people tend to get their way, due to their patheticness.. (is that a word?)

Brea said...

Happy New Year Clint!! I can't believe I've been away for so long. You'll have to let me know if I've missed any major happenings in your life from Christmas up until now.

About the crying thing - I get so frustrated that I cry. It's annoying because I want to be mad but end up crying. Weird huh? To answer your question, at least once a month. I don't feel the release that most women talk about - I think my monthly crying is completely hormone related and I find it annoying.

Drea Inspired said...

I'm more apt to get angry and completely silent before I cry.

With that said, I don't cry often, but when I do it's never in the presence of anyone...not even my closest pals.

Nabeel said...

the only time I disagree with crying is when one is scared .. how does it help?

MZPEACH said...

I cry once evey month...and that is terrible. I wish I didn't have so many issues that I have to cry so often. But it is usually the small things that trigger that reaction. I try to be strong about the larger ones.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...