Sunday, January 22, 2006

One of My Newsletter articles for the week

This January has been a little odd. While I generally know a few people who make New Year’s resolutions that last until a week before Valentine’s Day, I have talked to a number of people who are making major life changes in the new year. It has gotten me thinking about what life changes I need to make. The problem with me is, there is so much room for improvement. Go on a diet—it is rather obvious that could be a good goal for me. Another good goal might be to do more ironing before Sunday morning. I might also want to muster up the courage to have more than one date every two to three months. And, going two years in a row without getting a speeding ticket would do wonders for my insurance premiums.
The thing is that these resolutions require something that is very difficult—a confession. Confession is a scary thing. When we move toward confession, we feel weak and vulnerable. We get worried that someone is going to take advantage of this unguarded state and hurt us. Yet growth and change require confession. One of the reasons recovery groups like AA are so effective is that they challenge their constituents to admit before everyone their need to begin and continue a life change.
In the last month or two I have been struggling with a sense that I need some sort of change, but I have not been sure what it is. I have been asking myself lots of questions that do not have easy answers. Is God really using me here at First Baptist? Does God still want me in ministry anymore? Do I really like the “me” I am becoming? What am I really passionate about, and how do I follow that passion?
And these questions led me to a place where I needed to make a confession to you as a congregation. Recently, I have not been the Associate Pastor God has called me to be. I have been working hard at putting together ministry programs, building and maintaining relationships, and trying to make everybody happy. In the process, these tasks have been what I centered my ministry around. For me to minister my best, my life cannot revolve around the tasks I have to perform. It needs to be centered around my relationship with Jesus Christ. My ministry needs to grounded in prayer and study. Otherwise I am trying to share living water when my life is a soon to be empty well. And as an associate pastor in the church, that takes more than “devotions” and studying to prepare for the next lesson to be leader God wants me to be.
Here is my resolution. My work day is going to begin with and be centered around focused time of prayer and study. Emails can wait until later in the day, and so can non-emergency phone calls. And if you support me in this decision, feel free to support me and keep me accountable as God leads you to do so. And pray for us as a staff. We can use all the prayer support you can muster.

9 comments:

Drea Inspired said...

Glad you figured out the link, and glad you're figuring out what you need to do.

As far as things you wanna change. We all have lots of room for improvement. Don't let all the things you want for yourself overwhelm you.

"Put your hands in the hands of the man who stills the waters..."

Bstermyster said...

Dude you have the best blog title ever.

Brea said...

I hope you find the answers to all those questions in 2006.

feels good b n FREE said...

awesome awesome awesome....

i am at the same place in my life. it is wonderful to see God urging us and other believers to draw nigh unto him and to realize our true purpose...to not get so distracted by the business of everyday that we neglect our Christ.

luv u sweetie!

Gossip Cowgirl said...

That is a FANTASTIC New Years' Resolution. Better than the "i'm gonna exercise more" or "i'm giving up soda" resolution-blogs I've seen from so many people (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

But that is you. You're unique.

Fahd Mirza said...

where the blog fits in?

rubyslipperlady said...

I'm renewing in a similar fashion. I thank God for you and your amazing openness and honesty, Friar. Thanks.

Travis Greene said...

"Now repentance is no fun at all."

my favorite C.S. Lewis quote ever, from Mere Christianity

Will De Hart said...

You will certainly get a lot more done!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...