Monday, January 09, 2006

My name is Clint and I am a guiltaholic

I have friends that don't have a care in the world. They are going to do what they are going to do and nobody is going to tell them any different. And if they happen to step on your toes in the process they may apologize, but they are not going to feel guilty.

I have friends that say, "Its all about me!"

I am not that person. I am a guiltaholic.

There are times, after a long, hard 2.5 years at my job I feel like leaving and looking for something else. Then I feel guilty about it and think I should try and make it work here a little longer. Then I feel guilty about being to comfortable here to be willing to really work hard at looking to find a job somewhere else.

I feel guilty for not having enough money and not being financially stable enough. I feel guilty for not giving away enough money as well.

I feel guilty for having too many books. I should have been more responsible.

I feel guilty for being single. Like I am disappointing those that care about me by being so.

I feel guilty for eating pizza last night. So I will probably punish myself with extra exercise.

I feel guilty that I am still laying on my bed in my underwear on my day off and it about 1pm.

At work I have to make decisions. I feel guilty if I do not make everyone happy.

Some people have an overactive bladder. I have an overactive conscience.

I am a guiltaholic. I need help. And the first step is admitting I have a problem.

6 comments:

San Nakji said...

No, it's not guilt. It's just a sign that you care a lot for others. That's a good thing!

Drea Inspired said...

seems like you already you know that you have the problem...

it's on thing to have a conscience, it's another thing to be LIVING for other people...

all of the things you are guilty about have to do with disappointing other people. You can't make everybody happy...I'm sure you know that by now.

SUPER said...

I go through phases. I am extreme guiltaholic as well...and then I'm like- Nope...forget the rest of the world. No one else is gonna take care of me, but me...so watch out! Then I feel guilty about it and start the cycle all over.

The Gig said...

You sound a lot like me. If someone asks me to do something and I don't want to do it, I usually agree to do it anyway so as to not hurt their feelings. If I do just happen to say no, they usually act as though I have hurt their feelings or I think that if I don't do it then no one else will so out of guilt, I do it. Then I try to reason with myself by thinking that I don't want to hurt someone's feelings by doing something I really don't want to do, but then what about my feelings? I have just hurt myself by doing it and blah, blah, blah

feels good b n FREE said...

oooh....that sounds familiar

thank God for freedom from that.

MZPEACH said...

Very insightful and revealing post. I am definitely a guiltaholic. It is actually very stressing. But I also love being very conscious.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...