Sunday, December 04, 2005

We don't all look alike

I went to college in Sterling, KS. Not the most diverse place in America. A town where the one black gal in the local high school could not get a date in high school because interacial dating was considered sinful and wrong by most in town. And her parents were considered scandalous as well. This is the town where housewives show the slave entrances to their homes that had a secret entrance to the master's bedroom from the kitchen with a huge smile and laughter. Then they say, "Isn't that just neat!"

One of my fellow football players, an African-American wide receiver, worked with me doing children's ministry one night a week at a Methodist church about 10 miles from our college.

One of the kids kept telling him he looked like Eddie Murphy and kept wanting him to do the Buckwheat thing. Now, Terrell looked nothing like Eddie Murphy in my opinion. And he slowly got more irritated. So he went off on the kid in a very gentle and humorous way for about 5 minutes about how "we don't all look alike".

I have never understood this whole deal with black-white relations. With so many variations in skin tone in one ethnic group, it seems impossible to say, "They all look alike." Yet, just about every middle-aged black woman with a little extra weight gets compared to Oprah by middle-aged white women from hicktowns all over America.

Now where do people all look alike? Boys in Powers Lake, ND. All of Norweigian hertitage. All with the same haircut and the same baseball cap, blue jean, and t-shirt look in the summer. With the exception of the Wisthoff family, who were redheads.

I say all this to get to a semi-humorous point. Fat people do not all look alike. Find two men of size in a community of 100-200, and people will get them mixed up all the time. It is like people put you in...fat man that is at church or school category. I will say it again. White men of girth do not all look alike.

On two occasions I have had someone compare me to this person:



I don't think we look much alike.














Although I do have a mean impersonation of this wonderful man who is no longer with us....God rest his soul....















And sometimes people have even compared me to this character:











I don't think I look an awful lot like any of them. Let me remind you.
I AM A LOT BETTER LOOKING THAN ANY OF THEM.

:)

7 comments:

Fahd Mirza said...

Ok if you say so :) but they arent either so much bad-looking

Friar Tuck said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

this is a sore point I can tell ... I get fed up of poeople compartmentalising ...yet it's easy to fall into that trap. I htink it's because we dont take time to get to know each other, one by one, name fit to face etc ...

and I for one am not very observant.

I was talking about a lady from church the other day (only nice stuff) and I said she's got blond hair and is always smiling. My friend asked - does she wear glasses - and I didn't know. Turns out she didn't. In my defence I knew her name too, but my friend didn't - hence the description.

oh and I winced at the ref to the entry between the slaves quarters and the master bedroom. Give a whole new meaning to that word actually! It is part of our (your / their) inheritance, unfortunately :(

Brea said...

So true, so true!!

San Nakji said...

John Candy ain't bad!

Nice post, I liked it a lot.

SUPER said...

Maybe it's not so much the looks, but that you are fun and entertaining like all 3 of the comics you showed?

SUPER said...

After I got my senior pictures taken in high school, everyone said I looked like Kelly McGillis or whatever her name was from TOP GUN. Whatever?

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...