Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Late Night Phone Calls and Song of Songs

So, I was having this conversation with this friend that I had a crush on about a year or so ago. It is good we are friends...and probably a good thing nothing serious came out of the feelings I had for her at the time. Anyway...she was sharing what spiritual gifts she thought she had and she said that when she was trying to figure it out she thought that the gift of celebacy was a possibility. What was my first thought. "I still haven't lost it...there aint a woman I cant scare". Not that I have nearly that much power...but I thought it amusing that are next phone conversation after last summer had the gift of celbacy mentioned up front. (She now believes she has the gift of mercy)

Anyway..today was a discussion on the Song of Songs in our young adult bible study. What we were trying to do was answer some people's questions about the book, and at the same time share the Biblical ethic of sexuality in a more positive way. And I thought it worked. Setting out a goal and a vision that Scripture presents in the way of romantic love and human sexuality instead of just yelling NO really loud. My teaching style is more like fascilitating a discussion, listening for and pointing to the work of the Spirit in the group, and being the expert on Scripture. And, in the middle of the whole process I came to the realization that about everyone in the room had more sexual experience than I did. (which is why many times it is more important for me to fascilitate than to dictate when I teach). Then i started thinking about my conversation with my friend the night before...and wondering if I had the gift of celebacy. Then in my mind I screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Celebacy in my opinion, is not something bad. In fact, it can be very healthy. Nor do I believe it to be a spiritual gift as most Christians would understand that term. I do believe it, in many ways, to have been a blessing in my life. Strangely enough, I think I am better prepared for relationships, romantic or otherwise, because I have chosen to live this way at this point in my life. And, also strangely enough, the discipline has made me a uniquely honest and open person in a way that I might not have otherwise.

There are some unique writings on the matter:

The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris--there are a few chapters on how celebacy forms one's spirit.

Singles at the Crossroads by Albert Hsu--A brilliant book

The Struggle--As Marko once said--The book with everything you ever wanted to know about masterbation.

anyway..that is what was on my mind

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, Clint. I'm sorry to say that when I read the first part of your post I laughed. I seem to have the opposite effect on men... every guy I've crushed on or dated has married the very next woman they dated. I've often thought that I scared them into it... LOL!

I have a huge amount of admiration for the way you've handled yourself. You've saved yourself from so much pain and baggage! Wish I had had the strength of character you have.
Your kids are blessed to have someone in their lives who can model this with integrity.

rubyslipperlady said...

Thanks, Clint. Your honesty is good.

I was just having this sort of conversation with a friend and wondering what the guys thought, I guess I sorta know now. Thanks.

rubyslipperlady said...

Hot topic these days, I guess.

http://us.f547.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?box=Inbox&MsgId=6639_10790244_222214_1557_556_0_34130_-1_0&PREV=1&inc=&num=&Idx=1&Search=&YY=51582&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b

Friar Tuck said...

Laughing was a big part of the point of the first part of what I was saying. As rubyslipper lady knows...I kinda have a tongue in cheek sense of humor sometimes

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...