Friday, May 12, 2006

Two Poems from Rainer Maria Rilke--Book of Hours..Love Poems to God

Sometimes a man rises from the supper table
and goes outside. And he keeps on going
because somewhere to the east there is a church.
His children bless his name as if he were dead.

Another man stays at home untile he dies,
stays with plates and glasses.
So then it is his children who go outinto the world,
seeking the church that he forgot.

A Love Poem to God--Poem #2
Extinguish my eyes, I'll go on seeing you.
Seal my ears, I'll go on hearing you.
And without feet I can make my way to you.
without a mouth I can swear your name

Break off my arms and I will take hold of you
with my heart as with a hand
Stop my heart and my brain will start to beat
And if you consume my brain with fire
I'll feel you in every drop of my blood.

4 comments:

Erin said...

That second poem is stunning... just breathtaking.

feels good b n FREE said...

the second peom got me too...

to feel that way, and know that God loves us even more is awesome...

i need that kind of love.

MZPEACH said...

Loved the second poem. SO very true. Wow. Looks like everyone felt the same way about the second poem.

Dreaming again said...

Wow! That second one took my breath away.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...