Friday, August 08, 2008

Alpha Dog

I have been thinking a lot about dog training and church leadership. In what ways are we socially like dogs? Are there behaviors of leaders of the packs with dogs that I need to relate to my leadership of a congregation? In what ways in this metaphor inappropriate?

This, as a matter of fact, is at the heart of my boundaries discussion of previous month. A large school of thought of my mentors and in my training says that pastors should be "lovers and historians" of their congregations for the first six months to one year of their tenure. This means not making any major initiatives or challenges to your congregation. Yet, instinctually, there is a deep sense that I need to establish my self as a leader fairly quickly here in Fowler.

This is even more in my mind after this week. This week I have worked with two pastors that both advocate a strong, patriarchal, top down leadership structure in ministry as THE biblical model of church leadership. It has worked for one church very well, and the other church seems to be just emerging from the difficult time.

I tend to be a democratic leader and a consensus builder as a leader. The problem is, in both my ministries in Montana and in Colorado Springs, I gave away my power as leader in order to support people I worked with. Then, I would end up frustrated because I leveraged my authority to gain support and help in the ministry I was leading. Of course, those other two situations are different in some ways because I was in a support staff person.

Yet, while I want to be a "lover and historian" of my congregation, I want to establish myself as a competent leader in the congregation.

I am stil thinking abou it all...

3 comments:

reliv4life said...

just be the wonderful clint you are - and don't cut yourself short, you have a lot to offer that no one has heard yet - when your gut tells you to make a stand - do it. your gut or God - you know what I mean. :)

Heather said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLINT!!!

May God bless you all the year through.

*hugs*

Heather (Ori)

Brotha Buck said...

I agree with relive4life. Be yourself. You sound like a wonderful pastor. Are you still a youth pastor?

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...