Friday, June 24, 2011

Fowler Police....You don't have to turn on the red lights


Jennifer and I went to Subway this evening, got a treat at Sonic and then headed home from Rocky Ford. On the way home, I noticed a couple of police at the intersection. I did not, however, notice that they had the beat on me.

I pulled into the church parking lot (my front yard). About 15 seconds later the police pulled around the corner. The parked the car behind our van. Two male police officers sauntered out of the car. I thought the police were short staffed. It appears they are not.

They got out of the car. They began to tell us about the brake light being out on our new van. I thanked them. They told me to have a nice evening. Silence. They looked at each other. They looked at me. They looked at each other. They appeared to take a few steps back.

The other cop says, "You also didn't use your turn signal off of Main Street."

"Oh, sorry," I say they take a few steps back. They turn around. They come back. "Can I see your license?" they ask.

"Sure," I said

The police go into their car. Now at least 3 minutes into their call, they get in the car AND THEN they turned on the police lights. As I am parked. And my wife is walking into the house with the baby. They take 5 minutes to check my drivers license. They walk back to me. They give me my license back.

Then, lights still flashing, they ask to see my insurance. Really? "Sure, I guess," I say.

I get it out. They look at it. They frown. This takes about a minute. "Ok. Thanks. Get that light fixed soon," they say. They get back in the car and head down the road.


The way it was going, I am amazed they did not pull their guns on me.

I am left wondering several things.



  • Why didn't they turn on the lights when they first made the stop if they were going to turn them on?

  • Why couldn't they share all of their traffic concerns at the same time?

  • Couldn't they ask for all of my information at the same time?

  • If I had a problem with my light that merited a stop, couldn't they have pulled me over 4 blocks earlier?

  • Do I really look that dangerous with an infant in a mini-van pulling up to a parsonage?

Until this evening, I would say I supported the police department. Now, I wonder why they don't have basic police skills, or basic people skills. It was the most unprofessional, Barney-fife police experience I have ever had.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...