Saturday, March 18, 2006

Always a Friar and Never the Pope


Yesterday I once again visited the local halls of power within our church denomination, the Region Office up in Denver.

The whole experience when I go there is strange for me. I feel I am liked and supported by the folks up in the big city, but that I am not necessarily "one of them". And, I misread the vibe of the whole meeting, which left me feeling a little bit disappointed in myself.

First, I misread the tone of the meeting. I thought it would be a laid back meeting of youth workers. Instead it was a fairly formal meeting to start out with, and I did not present myself formally when I entered the meeting. So I had Flat Stanley with me, and my saint patricks say headgear for fun, and it went over like a lead balloon. They were thinking a business power meeting. I was thinking a youth leaders get together. (For those of you who dont know, us youth leaders are a little less structured and informal) I felt so stupid.

Second, I treat everyone equally. Which means, that I am not good at the political kiss ass game. So, I listen and care what the retired nurse has to say as much as the region executive. I argue with the white folk and the black folk in the room, women as much as men, and I say what I need to say whether or not people like it or not. I am not sure people quite know how to take this attitude and approach.

Third, my theological views do not match those who hold power in our denomination. I am more conservative theologically on core theological issues and issues of ethics in the church, especially the issues which are most divisive in mainline denominations in America. I am hard working and graceful enough that I am invited to the table, but I am enough out of the PC crowd that I dont get invited into offices afterward or out to dinner.

Ahh....it is my lot in life....a good friar.....but never a pope.

3 comments:

San Nakji said...

I doubt I agree with you on these core things, but you are always welcome to my 'table' for a debate!

see-through faith said...

I'm sure being the pope is over-rated (grin)

I like it you listen to and debate with all.

rubyslipperlady said...

Do you really wanna be the pope anyway?

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...