Sunday, March 19, 2006

Keys and Kites


I am not good with being able to find my keys. It drives me crazy. I go to my friends' house to lead a Bible study. I do my work. I visit. People leave. Then it is my turn to leave. But I cannot leave. Why? I cannot find my darned keys!

At points in my life I thought more faithfulness in prayer would solve this problem. Although there are times where I have found my keys when I slowed down and prayed about finding them, prayer alone has curbed my propensity from losing my keys.

Lately, I have taken to finding the biggest key chains possible. My thinking is, the bigger the key chain, the less likely I am to forget where I placed them. This has worked. And, the the little clippy thing I got from William Jewell College has helped a little bit as well.

However, I still break into a panic when I leave somewhere and my keys are not in my hand or in my pocket.

It got me to thinking. Are there simple keys to managing keys simply? And even more, are there simple keys to anything?

Some people I know love step by step processes. They like to put their life together like you assemble a bookshelf from Walmart. Looking at the instructions. Going step by step. Or, to use another metaphor, they look at life as a paint by the numbers kind of venture.

My experience is that my life doesn't work that way. To use the analogy of the bookshelf again...I strive to go step by step and then I find that I missed a step, or a part is missing, or something like that. Now what?

A lot of people look at spirituality as a step by step process. And for some the steps work. This is especially true in the AA community. But for me, as I look at Scripture, and look at my faith, my journey does not look the formulaic.

My spiritual journey looks more like flying a kite than building a bookshelf. I have a clear intent and vision about what I am doing, but my life and my ministry is dependant on catching the breeze of the Spirit, flying with the wind, and living a life of unique and unconventional beauty. Sometimes it means I flop down in the dirt, until another breeze starts pushing me in new directions. I don't like the flopping, but it is worth crashing to earth once in a while in order to be caught in the wind. And the more I fly around, the better I know how to land.

Right now, I am praying for the wind.


5 comments:

Bstermyster said...

M husband has a similar problem, yet it isn't keys, it is his wallet.

Love the bookshelf/kite analogys. I am one of those that is organized and and more a bookshelf person.

The Gig said...

My four sons have the same problem about misplacing keys. It seems to be pretty common to me.

As far as my Spirituality goes, it's an ongoing thing with me but it's also a struggle because I have a hard time concentrating when I read and also my comprehension is not good either; therefore I struggle about reading the Bible. I have been really praying on those two problems.

As far as your question about St. Patrick's Day on my post...

I do not believe it is racist to celebrate st. Patrick's Day. People of all races celebrate their heritage at some time during each year. It just shows that people are proud of their heritage. I have always enjoyed St. Patrick's Day, especially when I get to pinch someone for not wearing green. :-)

San Nakji said...

I love the way you take real life situations and use them to look deeper into life and sprituality. It is very clever. I think you are on the right path.

see-through faith said...

love this :)

keys are easy to misplace. The trick is NOT to get distracted and train yourself always to put them in the same place. Mine's on the little table in the hall - or in my outer zip of my bag. However I often find htem in my right hand coat pocket. Or the left.

see it's not only you :)

rubyslipperlady said...

You can get key rings that chirp and such when you clap or whistle, thus helping you find your keys. Perhaps at Sharper Image or maybe Spencer's?

I enjoy your imagery as well. The times on the ground are only made hopefully knowing that we get to soar.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...