Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Singleness and Body Prayer

I have been thinking about how much I use gestures in prayer this morning.

I am not Catholic, but recently I have taken to genuflection (crossing oneself) as a frequent prayer practice. I leave the gate of my apartment and I cross myself as a prayer for safety as I leave. I see a beautiful view of the Garden of the Gods with Pikes Peak in the background as I pass Palmer Park I lift a hand in praise and smile. A drop dead gorgeous woman walked in to order a coffee, I lifted my hands in praise again. (Then I took a really deep breathe and said WOW under my breathe).

When we strive to listen to God's command to "pray without ceasing" gestures and glances become as much a part of prayer as the spoken word, expecially for more introverted souls like myself. I look to the sky and my heart says help. I take a deep breathe and my heart says that I don't know how to deal with my situation. And to my mind it is all prayer.

Does anyone else have a similar experience.

4 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

Wow...I went through that a couple of years ago. I never was one to "cross myself" or anything like that. Over the last few years, I have found myself bowing at the name of Jesus, I glance at the cross or up to the heavens when I am thanking the Lord, and the most fascinating thing is that I shed many tears throughout the day when I think of how much the Lord loves me.

It seems weird, I was never that open about my religion until just a few years ago. Now, I am much more open and I find myself doing things I never did before. And, it makes me happy.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I love this post.

I also happen to come from a Catholic background and have always appreciated the reverence of mass and the Catholic church.

This is a great post...totally get it.

feels good b n FREE said...

wow...

very well writen too Clint!

Nabeel said...

i think i posted a question here .. but forgot which post did I post the question in .. i needed to know what's the difference between the old testament and the new testament .. i.e. who brought which one to this world.

thanks

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...