Monday, December 26, 2005

Gift Certificates and the Art of Budget Maintenence

I recieved a number of gift certificates for Christmas. Which has been a real blessing. I got some faux fiestaware from Walmart, a CD, a pair of sweatpants (on clearance even), and several books. I am very thankful.

While the Walmart gift certificate allowed me to purchase some useful things for my home (like presentable dishware), the Borders and Barnes and Noble gift certificates awakened a monster sleeping within. Namely, the book buying bug. And while I got several books I had been wanting today...I also discovered several more that I really want.

And it got me to thinking...a lot of my life...perhaps too much...is lived on a binge and purge cycle. I tend to read voraciously, and then not read a lot at all. I tend to immerse myself in one type of music for a long while, and then ignore that type of music all together for a short time. Sometimes I get sucked into sleeping a lot and at odd times, and other times I go for a week or two with only 5 hours of sleep a day half of the time.

The same is true with my introversion/extroversion balance. I tend to go through long phases where I "go into my cave" and socialize as little as possible, and then I go through similar phases where I hunger to socialize all the time.

I tend to do the same at work. There are times at work when I wish I could just live and sleep there. I have so much to do, and it is so important to do it. Then I go through similar phases when I seem to barely be able to get my work done and it is all I can do to do just enough to get by.

The same is true right now is true with shopping. I loved buying nephews their playful yet cheap Christmas presents and spending my gift certificates. But I need to tighten my budget and curtail month to month personal spending here soon.

After all....April 15 is coming!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apr 15 is my son's birthday - are you sending him a gift.

I didn't get any ministry appreciation gifts this year - and am tottering on the verge of feel very unappreciated in minsitry to be honest. I didn't realise that it would have meant something to me :(

ouch.
Another learning that my identity isn't wholly in Him yet - and yeah I suffer from self esteem problems sigh

So glad you could go to B&N and endulge the book buying habit

We got one wonderful gift that was totally unexpected - tickets for Narnia - I took the whole family to see it this evening and it was wonderful. Not as good as the books - could anything ever be - I read the lion the witch and the wardrobe as a young child (about 8) and have been captivated by it ever since!!

hugs and blessings to you.

Friar Tuck said...

Also did not get any gifts during pastor appreciation month, nor did we get our normal bonus/love gift at Christmas...but someone thought of me and got me a bookstore gift certificate. How sweet of her.

April 15 in tax day here in USA

rubyslipperlady said...

I think you should definately send Lorna's son a gift!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...