Friday, February 18, 2005

Life in Singleton: Single Christian Minister Dating Woes

Spurred on by an email to Becca, I thought I would blog about Life in Singleton again. Before I write this a disclaimer: I am not desprate and dateless. But I thought it would be fun to share a few dating woes.

I just wish I could morph the Christian women I know with some of the qualities of non-Christian women.

It seems to me Christian women are sweet, and I share many things with them, but they are not ornery enough for my taste. And they cant handle my not being the ideal Christian man, with my liking to smoke a cigar occasionally, drink once in a while, and say things like "sometimes you just have to say 'fuck it'" This scares Christian women off. Infact, I dated a Christian gal in Bozeman that got really upset at me, and called me at 7am because she was upset that I put an arm around her at the movie theatre. I "violated" her she said. Please, I put my arm around my momma when she is cooking something I like and give her a kiss on the cheek and say thanks. Am I violating my mother too? Hell, NO. I am just an affectionate person. Hell, I put my arm around my guys in youth group once in a while (though not for an extended period of time.)

Then there are all these "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" types, which is always a result of some jerk/player from the past--a form of withdrawl for protection. This Victorian dating bull must die.

On the other hand there are people which I have went out on dates with to get to know. The first date we go out she acts all conservative--not even a kiss. Invariably the second or third date she wants to hop in the sack. I say no. She says she has needs, and what kind of man am I to not want to meet them. Then we try to move to friend mode. It never works either. Not that I am pursuing non-Christian women mind you, but sometimes you get a different impression on the first date (seems genuinely interested in your work, talks about her church and faith experiences) than you do later on. But this gal is fun because she talks like a normal human being, she is willing to have a drink with you, she tolerates goofiness and humor, she touches you on the arm while she is talking to you, she doesnt freak out when you say "Damn It" when you are cut off in traffic etc. etc. But inevitably it goes the way of the Thornbirds.

In other words,I like to hang out with non-Christian women more, but their values are different. But Christian gals I have spent time with are so polite, boring, and frigid. And most Christian girls are into that whole headship thing instead of a partnership, and that is a big turnoff too.

I want an intelligent, passionate, affectionate, earthy woman that loves Jesus, and has honest Christian convictions. And someone who can tolerate all my shortcomings. Perhaps I am looking for too much. Anyway.....

What does everyone else think?

3 comments:

traci said...

Well Clint... there are Christian women out there like you "want". I am like that. I'm not afraid of a little profanity coming out of a mouth nor am I afraid of a bit of alcohol going into my mouth. I like to think I am sweet and whatnot. AND I live my strong Christian convictions. Now... my teachers have always said that if you have a question you should ask it because it is likely that someone else has that question... So what I am getting at is that there is possibly someone out there for you that will match perfectly. I'm sorry that some Christian women are just polite, frigid, and boring. She'll come when God thinks its time. That�s what I believe anyway!

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I agree with Traci. Not just that she'll come when God thinks it's time, but that she will come. I do know Christian women like Traci describes, but I also know lots like Clint describes.

The question is: how do you weed out the bad/annoying ones? And how do you get the good ones?

Wait, those were two questions. Sorry. Sometimes I try too hard.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Maybe they have an ointment for that?

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...