Thursday, February 03, 2005

On the Nature of Spritual Transformation

THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN BEING AND DOING


Yesterday in our CHOW group (Young Adult Bible Study) we had a brief discussion while discussing the background of James about what the difference was between intellectual assent and authentic faith.

The dicussion circled around whether the two actions were opposite, or could they be the same thing. In an explanation, someone commented that intellectual assent is the natural precursor to authentic faith, and thus is a part of having authentic faith. The conversation then went to, can we have authentic faith without intellectual assent.

It is an interesting question. Must I agree with the words and ideas of faith to live by faith.

My answer is no. That authentic faith is often trusting relationally and with our actions even when we do not intellectually assent. For instance, during my freshman year I had serious doubts about the validity of the resurrection testimony. At times, the gospels read to much like self-serving propoganda (which they are--they happen to be true as well though). My beliefs were in crisis. Did that mean I did notlive in authentic faith? Quite the contrary. I lived day by day faithfully following, trusting, and communicating with God even though I could not completely intellectually assent to all the essential historical facts that the faith is based upon. The same thing happens when I am called to love my enemies. Do I agree with Jesus on this. Not always. Sometimes I think Jesus is tremendously unrealistic. Do I follow, trust, and connect with God in faith despite the fact I have a hard time intellectually assenting anyway? When I do I believe I am living with authentic faith, possibly even more authentic faith than when I do intellectually assent. Intellectual assent is based on ideas. Faith is based upon relationship

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I had a falling out of sorts myself because I had overly intellectualized my faith... it can easily become detrimental and often defeats the point. I strongly believe that God is looking for a relationship with us, not just our understanding and belief in His existance. So therefore, I conclude that authentic faith is more important then intellectual assent, and is possible without intellectual assent in the first place. Besides, there are definately biblical things we weren't meant to fully understand intellectually... it requires a leap of faith.

-Philbin

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I agree with both of you. Well said. Faith is about relationship, and there are definitely things we will never know, and that we will never need to know.

But isn't it more dangerous to believe blindly what any professing Christian spouts off? Isn't under-intellectualizing your faith just as dangerous as over-intellectualizing? Don't both provide similar strongholds? I'm not talking about blindly accepting the entirety of Scripture. I'm talking about not questioning human logic, human interpretation. Not thinking things through for yourself. Not asking God for wisdom. Not having a check in your spirit when a pastor or a preacher or a leader is saying something that "uses" Scripture, but may not be entirely Biblical or Spirit-inspired.

Maybe I'm just a fan of using my intellect, but I see common dangers in the extremes of both thinking too much and not thinking enough.

In other words, no matter what they tell you will happen afterward, DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID, people. Sorry, maybe that was inappropriate, but really... the effects of under-intellectualizing? Beware the cult.

Friar Tuck said...

Perhaps you are right Becca. I guess I did not state my case well enough. We are supposed to love the Lord God with our whole heart, mind and strength.

My point was that we tend to think of faith in a linear mind to heart to action development. When in fact, sometimes truths may need to be lived before they are intellectually assented to.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...