Tuesday, February 28, 2006

On Loving Jesus, but not the Church

As I talk to and visit with people who are my age and younger that are not attending the church about spiritual things, I tend to find a familiar pattern repeating itself over and over again. Usually I share what I do for a living, and then people say “I used to go to church but…”or they say “I believe in Jesus, but I just can’t handle the church thing because…” Surveys have been done over and over again among people who are not currently attending church. Nine out of ten have a very high regard for Jesus. Many would call themselves believers in Christ. Unfortunately when it comes to attending worship somewhere they generally would agree with an acquaintance of mine who said, “I love Jesus...I just don’t have a lot of high regard for his representatives.”


When I hear comments like that I am torn. There is a part of me that really gets angry at the people that tell me these things. My blood pressure rises and I want to pummel them with accusatory questions like: So do you think you are perfect? What makes you the grand arbitrator of all that is right and good? Is this about what the church has done, or you not wanting to be accountable to what the church teaches? Are you really so arrogant to think that you are a better person than those that are inside the church? Why? On the other hand, often simultaneously, I am angry at this network of institutions we call the Church. I start running another set of questions through my head. They sound like: Is the church as we know it really what Jesus intended as a community to build his kingdom? When in the bible did Jesus really say, “Come and join a local church institution so that you can spend all your free time doing religious activities.”? How is the church different than the world when it is all about gamesmanship and politics? So, most of the time I am stuck. I try to listen empathetically, and when given the chance I share my story about how church communities have formed me in a positive way and a little of my vision of what I hope the church can be.


Then I start to think. What would it be like if we started to be sensitive to what it might mean to be a church for the De-churched? A church that is a place for healing of those with church hurts? A place where people burned out on religion can meet Christ and Christians in an authentic and forthright manner, without watering down the good news of Christ.



After that I start thinking this....is there any way that I can do vocational ministry in a way that supports helping others connect with Jesus (which I believe is my life's purpose) without also being a representative of religiosity (which I have more and more of a hard time with)?

9 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

This is wonderful, but I have no answer.

Makes me think of chaplains. They work within a work or life community and reach out within that setting. Army, hospital.

A friend of ours from school is doing someting similar within the theatre community in D-town. Bryan Reed. It's amazing, how beign one of a group of people, within their context can open doors that cannot be opened through regular 'religious' channels.

Maybe this is the beginning of a job shift for you, a new way to think of what might be next for you?

San Nakji said...

I think the church does scare away a lot of people. I can't say this is a reason why I am a godless heathen, but I have seen it in other people. I do wonder how important the church is if you believe in god. More important surely is your relationship with your creator?

Anonymous said...

Inspired. Inspired to fulfill your request for an explaination (as I just loaded three children onto the bus for AWANA).

Thank you.

Dreaming again said...

I find it amazing ... the people who say that they have a high regard for Jesus, but not the church ... are the ones who won't look past other's faults ... to be a part of the body of Christ.

They call themselves believers, but, won't follow the instructions given to us ... they prefer to do their own thing, than to swallow their own pride.

It's funny, those who are either not attending church, or, who are attending church, but only attending church (no service, no tithing, no reaching out, pew warmers at best) are usually the first to pass judgement on those who are working hard, giving their all for the service of Christ, and His church.
They give everything, including a mistake here and there ...
but they give it all ...to obey the 2 things they find the most compelling... to feed His sheep, and to fish for men.

And yet, those sitting on the sidelines judge them, and tell them "I don't want to be like you, you've made a mistake, you didn't look at me right"

When ... they are working hard, because they realize that ... they are there because of the Grace of God ... and because of the Grace of God they have a wonderful gift to share ... the "there but for the grace and mercy of God, go I, and you, can go the way of the cross too! Come, I have good news for you!"

Unfortuneately ... part of what is at the heart of people turning away from the church is not at the fault of the church, but the fault of society ...
"It's all about me."

We've forgotten ... it's about feeding His sheep, and fishing for men, and when we fall, lending a hand ... not standing there saying "well, I knew you weren't perfect!"

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing ... the people who say that they have a high regard for Jesus, but not the church ... are the ones who won't look past other's faults ... to be a part of the body of Christ.

I find it very sad and very ironic that the people who go to a building called a church are the ones who claim to have a high regard for Jesus Christ (our lord and savior) but won't look past other's faults... to be more "Christ - like".

Why do I not go to church? Because I do not believe Christ hears me any more clearly because I am in a congregation of other people. Because I may not be your "run of the mill" Christian, but by GOD, I live my life by his holy word and by his direction and not by the direction of 'mortal man' - that guy at the pulpit or his minions or leaders.

I hope I have misunderstood your directive because it was very judgemental... exactly what you "condemn".

Do I sound angry and bitter? Good. Because you can bet your sweet fanny I am.

I have turned my "other cheek" to organized religion and have found my "peace" in the word of God... in the actions of Jesus Christ. I cannot think of any reason to go to "church" other than 'community'...and there in lies the problem. Church is kind of like high school. There are cliques and judgements; got my fill, thank you and I find more peace and dialogue with Christ our savior here in my own living room...

And occasionally at 'Friar Tucks'. No offense intended, but people are harsh these days...

Oh...and Jesus was a "liberal".

Love in Christ -

God bless.

feels good b n FREE said...

perhaps the problem is that no one wants to look at them self. That is to say, it is entirely easier to point out whhat the others are doing wrong...
we are all in the wrong. the bible does make a mandate that we forsake not the gathering (church) of believers.
it is a cop out to run from the church because of hurt.

my father is a pastor. i have seen, felt and been a direct victim of some of the nastiest church politics, ugliness and rumors...all of it.
however, right when i'm ready to throw in the towel a reminder comes...
that one, i come to the temple to sanctify a small protion of time every week to worship collectively.
two, that more than 85% of my meaningful and lifetime relationships were formed in the church.
three, that when i come to the alter hurt, bruised, disappointed...it is there that i can recieve comfort and healing and often the prayers, encouragement and hugs from my brothers and sisters in Christ.

people don't want to be restrained, they don't really want to live by the standards of Christ and it is a whole lot easier to run.

believers must make effort to be loving,understanding and not in judgement. churches are imperfect because people are imperfect.

and just because yu've been to one that hurt you or you didn't like it doesn't mean that there isn't one out there for you. trust me i have been to many, many churches and in there some where is a church home for anyone who desires.

the building itself is inconsequential, but the people, the gathering, the sheperding of a pastor is absolutely essential to the walk with JESUS CHRIST.

if you love him...follow HIS commandments.

much luv clint!

San Nakji said...

Yay Shelleigh!

rubyslipperlady said...

Thanks, Jewels!

What an interesting conversation to all.

Anonymous said...

I think we have gotten way off track from what the church really is and should be. The early church setting was a small gathering of believers who got together to worship, study and share their lives as they walked with Christ. The shared burdens, spiritually and financially. It was a more intimate and relational setting.

Today "the church" is a massive institution with the monies of the "flock" going to huge buildings, the salaries of numerous staff and programs. There are multimedia presentations and watered-down cliches passing for teaching of the word.

There is a growing movement to return to the church as Jesus intended, a small relational atmosphere that focuses on Jesus, not a super-pastor plugging his latest book or program.

c

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...