Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Chesterton quotes

We have come to an end of a thing when we have come to the beginning of it.

The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

One sees only great things from the valley, only small things from the peak.

If the world grows too worldly, it can be rebuked by the church; but if the church grows to worldly it cannot be adequately rebuked for worldliness by the world.

4 comments:

Travis Greene said...

Chesterton's awesome. But may I counter with some Thomas Merton?

What am I? I am myself a word spoken by God. Can God speak a word that does not have any meaning?

rubyslipperlady said...

My goodness, the list of things I need and want to read just grows and grows. I'm almost done with the thesis so that I can start to whittle down the list, however, I feel as though the more I read (such as Chesterton and Merton) the more I will add to my list, therefore expanding it, not deminishing it at all.

Drea Inspired said...

I REALLY like the last one...I should pass it along to some "saved and sanctified" folks I know...stop faking the funk, I say!!!

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I also love the last one. It's unfortunate that the church doesn't think more about these things...

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...