Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My ID theft rant

Today I recieved an interesting solicitation in the mail from my bank. Identity theft insurance!! AND it is only $12 a month. It made me so angry. Here is why.

1. It is these very institutions that are offering the insurance that are causing the problem in the first place. Why is my credit card issuer trying to make me pay for identity protection when it should be there job to protect it? Would identity theft really be as pervasive if all these financial institutions did not float our personal information around like a terd floating from the New Orleans sewage treatment plant into Lake Ponchatrain?

2. You watch now. This will mean that credit card companies will be more and more difficult to deal with on fraudulent charges because they will say, "well...do you have our identity theft coverage...you dont...well that is going to make our job a lot more difficult"

3. The whole protection insurance is abdicating responsibility of financial institutions to protect our assets that we let them have in their reserve, it is taking advantage of their customers weaknesses by adding another charge to your credit card bill (this was the proposal that I received).

4. With the new bankrupcy laws the credit companies already have paid off our representatives in Congress to take advantage of folks and make even more money already.

Ughhhh. Geez Citibank, Chase, Providian, Capital One....just do your jobs ethically and protect my identity already.

7 comments:

Drea Inspired said...

Credit card companies and banks want you to put out additional money for credit protection and ID theft monitoring, but they make it so easy to get you ID stolen! I went through a fast food drive thru and used my debit card....I didn't even have to sign anything. Someone could still my card and start rollin' through drive-thrus all willy nilly with my money!!!!

I tell you the truth....the worst part about possible ID theft or fraudelent accounts on your credit report is that you can't rule out these companies for messing you up....it's not just the cons. I had to deal with a certain phone company a couple of months ago because for 4 years without my knowledge, they had a deliquent account listed under my SSN! It wasn't some ID theif; it was the darn phone company who jeopardized my credit!

I'm picking up my soap box and moving on...

The Gig said...

Ummmmm -- interesting! This is really enlightening to me. Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

Clint, quick question: Did you once go to Covenant City Church in Corpus Christi, TX?

Friar Tuck said...

no i did not

feels good b n FREE said...

I abhor credit cards...

I rebuke cresit cards and identity theft in the name....lol

no seriously this crap is retarded, and they wanna make it so u can't live with the credit cards or the ins...

just plain sux...they'll have to take me down, kickin and screamin..lol

Brotha Buck said...

A Christian credit councelor once told me that the credit card companies were the devil in disguise. Man, that is so right.

rubyslipperlady said...

to brownsoul: Thank you for using "willy nilly." I love that and it made me laugh and smile. Thanks for brightening my evening.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...