Monday, November 21, 2005

The Doctor's Visit and the Care of Souls

An interesting thing happened to me today.

I hate doctors. As a matter of fact, it had been long enough since I went that they made me fill out a whole new form at the doctor's office I went to (over a year). Generally, I try to be a "real man" and just tough out my pain. I don't like taking Asprin, Sudafed, or any over the counter "drugs". But my jaw, ear, and the glands below my jaw have been in progressively more pain. So much so I was getting a little grumpy (another thing I rarely admit when it happens). So, I found a PPO approved doctors office that was open on Sundays, and headed over to the doctor's office/
The place is not well staffed on the weekends. So, it took around 45 minutes to get in. I watched CNN.

Immediately there was good news. My higher number on my blood pressure was down in the 120s. In college and in the grocery store in Belgrade my blood pressure ran 160/110 at times. It is now down to 124/82--without ever using medication. So I was happy about that.

So, anyway, the doctor comes in and says hello. I tell him what is wrong and he says, "Maybe". He looks in my ear and says, "There might be a little ear infection there. Here is an antibiotic and get some Claratin D."

He never looked at me in the eye. He did not check out my throat to see if there might be issues there instead of my ear, which he did not seem to think had a major problem. He came in and out of my room in less than 2 minutes and sent me on my way. And I was angry.

I was angry because I think if I am going to pay for a doctor's appointment, the least I could get is a thorough examination of my ears, nose and throat. Especially when that is what I am complaining about. I felt like if I was his patient, I at least deserved his attention for a few moments. But I left feeling like I was not cared for, not listened to, and I wasn't even sure if I was understood. And, my ego was crushed. I had finally gotten the courage to go to a doctor about a pain that I considered fairly substantial, and he addressed my personal pain in a flippant and dismissing manner.

(Of course the doctor could have been interupted from his football game, fought with his wife as he walked out the door to work, or a million other things. And I tried to give him a break by keeping that in mind. However, I still come back to when I pay to come see a doctor it should be all ABOUT ME.)

After feeling sorry for myself for about 5 minutes, I began to reflect on how the doctor's job and mine were not all that different. How desperate and vulnerable does a person have to get with what is going on in their life and their soul before they get the courage to come and seek out a pastor for teaching or guidance? And, how do we treat those people who are in our care when they come to us as ministers? How many people have left an interaction with a minister like myself with much the same anger and irritation as I felt with that doctor?

Its something to think about and grow from!

7 comments:

see-through faith said...

well I agree but only up to a point! You will learn from it and you will grow too and that's good - and I liked it that you compared a doctor's job to a pastor.

but
the doctor should have examined you properly. That is his job and if he barely looked at your ears, didn't check your throat - didn't listen to your lungs etc - he isn't doing his job well.

also prescribing antibiotics on the basis of perhaps there's a little something is mal practice.

Then then comes your role in this. Should you have insisted that he did a better exam? It isn't your job to tell him how to do his job, but it is your responsibility to - as far as you are able - to get yourself checked properly, especially after making the effort to get checked out in the first place, (let alone paying)

Anyway it's all water under the bridge now. I hope you start to feel better soon. Next time, choose a doctor who will take more responsibility and pride in doing his job.

(I could rant more here, but it's enough)

rubyslipperlady said...

I think you should have demanded more. However, would I have at the time? Sometimes I am a lot more talk than action.

San Nakji said...

Doctors are all like that. They think of the money, not the patient.... I am completely with you.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

I'm so sorry about your experience. I love your constructive way of reflecting on it but hope that you won't feel too discouraged to get the proper medical care. If I were you I'd ask your coworkers (I assume they are on the same plan?) if they could recommend a physician in the area. I've had a lot of experiences with doctors over the last three years and I've learned to never go to a doctor that isn't highly recommended by a trusted friend or another great doctor. Often you have to wait longer for an appointment but that's better than the alternative. Hope you feel better soon!

ps And don't be afraid of over the counter drugs, especially on work days! When we try to tough out the pain those around us usually suffer the consequences.

feels good b n FREE said...

whoa..that's insightful clint!
you r soemthing...
it's great that you are open to looking at things like that...you will be so much better for it.

rubyslipperlady said...

Doctors are NOT all like 'that' and only about the money. I know several that are passionate about what they do, the people they care for and how to find the best solutions for all involved. Yes, just like in every business, including every ministry you can think of, there are exceptions to the rule. There will be people who are out for number one. That is the exception, not the rule. I actually find san najki's comment fairly offensive. I'm sorry you have not apparently had any good experiences with better medical professionals.

Friar Tuck said...

Well.....

First of all the whole point of this is that I think that a lot of times that pastors and people in churches can treat people in churches in a similar way to the way I was treated by this doctor. And it was a personal learning experience about the importance of being attentive to those people I serve in my church...

Anyway....

I can see you point Amy. All or nothing statements are not always easy to swallow.

However, I do think spending most of your young adult life learning about people as a complilation of parts and systems to be diagnosed and manipulated can tend to lead a large proportion of doctors to lack people skills.

And I think the health care industry is more about their bottom line than they are about truly CARING for people in general.

In my experience, the people that make the health care system care--the stars of the show if you will--are nurses.

And I think working in the ER as you do would give you a different perspective. Because in an ER you are dealing with people in crisis, which adds a different dynamic.

We have two doctors in our congregation. One is obviously lacking in people skills, and is a surgeon. And I think he is a surgeon so he has to interact as little with people as possible.

The other is a pediatric oncologist. He leads our young adult sunday school, and is a very personable and compassionate man. He will also be our moderator at church next fall. But he got into a school of medicine that is all about helping very sick children and loving them to death (many of them do die). He talks passionately for instance about their partnership with the Make A Wish foundation, and he sometimes gets choked up talking about certain kids he has worked with in the past.

All of this to say, having interacted with several doctors through my mother working in different doctors offices for most of my growing up years, that there is a very high proportion of them that are lacking in people skills. At least most of the ones I visit.
But all or nothing is probably a bit of a large sweeping statement.

And, I think with the rise of corperate medicine, doctor's offices and jobs can take on the feel of cows going to their slaugher (much like the Denver Airport's security procedure). And I think there are doctors that get frustrated with how the system is changing the way they can do health care.

I really liked Dr. Simpson in Sterling by the way.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...