Friday, November 04, 2005

Ten years ago

Ten years ago
I was 22 and just starting seminary in Kansas City, KS. I was also just starting in my first youth ministry position. A part-time deal with an inner-city church in KCK. The church reflected the history of the neighborhood. The youth group reflected the current population of the neighborhood. People were kind and supportive, but this caused problems. But at this time I was on top of the world, getting my master's degree and working in a multicultural youth group in a transitional neighborhood.

Five years ago
I was 27. The third pastor in two years was just starting at the church I was at. I lived in Belgrade MT, just north of Yellowstone (the position is open again right now if anyone is interested). It was a very difficult year. It was also my best year as far as attendance went ever, with the exception of my last year at Belgrade.

One year ago
I was justing getting the results back from my sleep test that said I had sleep apnia. I was trying to deal with the fact that the church said that "I did not fit the image they wanted to project" and I needed to go on a diet to make them happy or lose my job.


Five yummy things
Rio's marguerita's in Boulder, CO
Cinnamon Rolls from Sourdough Sam's in Soldotna, AK
Hamburgers from Munchies in Glide, OR
Burritoes from Olemendis in Capo Beach, CA
Hot Tamales Candy


Two songs I know by heart
Baby Got Back
Its Hard to Be Humble


Six things I would do with a lot of money
Buy my mother a nice new house and pay off her old one
Do a church plant
Pay off my debts
Give money to ministries, issues, and causes I support
Go to a high end fat farm
Spoil a woman that showed some interest.


Five places I would to escape to
Oregon Coast
A cabin in the woods
African safari
Holy Land Tour
Alaska

Two things I would never wear
Bellbottoms
half shirt


Four favorite TV shows
Sportscenter
Fox News Watch
Lost
Celebrity Weight Loss


Three Favorites of all time:

Sienfield
Sopranos
Gentle Ben


Five things I enjoy doing
Reading
Writing
Training on the Elliptical
Travelling



Favorite toys

TV
Laptop
Friar Tuck Action Figures


Three people who get this ‘meme’
Ray
Drea
Diamonds, Rubies, and Colapop

9 comments:

Brotha Buck said...

So what was the resolution you came to with the church?

San Nakji said...

It really sucks what the church said to you. I hope you didn't take it!

Anonymous said...

hadn't realised that this was a meme at first and loved the what was I doing 10, 5 and 1 year ago. Thought it was your birthday. My b'day is at the end of the month, so I think I'll adapt this idea.

thanks :)

:| raven |: said...

what a great post ..

thanks for sharing.

SUPER said...

As Christians, I find it apalling that they felt they could sit in judgement of you that way and assume that the congregation or others felt the same as well.
There is only room for judgement from one, and it isn't me, you, or anyone in your church.
They should be ashamed, and you should stand tall and proud for the person you are.
They should focus on your faith, ability to reach youth- helping guide them on their faith journey, and all the other talents and knowledge you share with your congregation.
I'm sorry, but that part of this post stood out to me, shocked me, and really just set me off.

Beyond that, I agree with the Rio's margs, would pay money to see you in bellbottoms, Love Celebrity Fit Club, but am sad Facts of Life wasn't one of your all time favs. It should be on everyone's list...even males. It was a classic!

Len said...

how many Friar Tuck action figures do you have?

rubyslipperlady said...

How are those Jesus pencil toppers enjoying Colorado?

feels good b n FREE said...

Clint!!!
so sorry....
i've been missin in action, i'm getting right to my meme...i'll post it tonite

smooches

Robert Logan said...

I loved Gentle Ben. I wonder if it is on DVD? Enjoyed your blog.

Any Donkey (Treowth)

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...