Saturday, May 21, 2005

Devils and Dust

Took a little listen to the new Springsteen album. For me, this is one of his most powerful, artistic albums.

Take a listen to the lyrics of the chorus of"Devils and Dust"

Fear's a dangerous thing
It can turn your heart so black you can trust
It will take your God filled soul
Fill it with devils and dust


Another verse I find just as compelling

"Now every woman and every man
They want to take a righteous stand
Find the love that God wills
And the faith that he commands
Ive got my finger on the trigger
And tonight faith just aint enough
When I look inside my hear
Ther's just devils and dust"


Reno is another ballad with a dark twist...a story about an encounter with a prostitute full of longing for something better.

A song about life change called "Long Time Coming".

"Tonight I am going to get birth naked and bury my old soul. And dance on its grave." he sings and "And down below and pullin on my shirt, I got some kids of my own. Well, if I had one with in this god-forsaken world, kids, it'd be that your mistakes would be you own. Yea your mistakes would be your own."

"Black Cowboys" is another narrative ballad with a compelling storyline.

There are a lot of other songs, almost like a strange mix between Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. A kind old west/folk feel with at least a few songs advocating for Latin American immigrants.

All in all a good album. One of his best in years, if not his best ever artistically

1 comment:

Brea said...

Hmmm - might have to check it out . . .

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...