Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Inner Space

When I was younger, I watched this movie called Inner Space. It was about a spaceship that was reduced to microscopic size, and then inserted in the human body. It was like instead of moving outside of ourselves we needed to move inside of ourselves.

Oddly, this is reminicent of my adventures lately. Although I have been busy, I have also been immersed in thought and in my own inner space. In part this has to do with some things that I have been reading. In part this has to do with circumstances in life. In part it is just something I need to do with my personality to be the best of who I am.

First, I just read "The Last Word, and the Word after that." It is "creative nonfiction" about a person who struggles with the concept of hell and eternal punishment. I don't go as far as the person in this book, but I do have to resonate with many of his questions, and to a certain extent enjoyed his narrative that did a lot of paraphrasing of Elaine Pagel's "The Orgin of Hell". It made we think about some things....some questions I will also pose to you:

Do you believe in a place called Hell?

What is it like. Is all the fire imagery metaphorical or literal?

In what ways are things people believe about hell influence their behavior?

How do you deal with the fact that you may be "partying in the living room" (heaven) while your friends are "being tortured in the basement" (hell)?

What does God's justice look like?

Do you think God cares more about ideas or action? If action....then dont you endorse more of works righteousness? If ideas, is all existence just a series of passwords. Isnt asking someone to pray the sinners prayer to be "saved" and pray the right prayer just an extension of the tyranny of ideas over and above action..the heresy of gnosticism?

What do you all think?

What do I think? I am not saying yet. I want to hear you first, including all you silent readers.

Also, I am thinking a lot about what Dallas Willard says about the abuse of withdrawl. He says withdrawl can be just as abusive in relationships and in community as aggression. To some extent I believe he is right here.

Think of childcare and child rearing. I remember reading "The Lost Child" by David Pelzer. What was shocking about the story in parts was the active neglect and withdrawl of parental love. ABANDONMENT is a form of child abuse, and is even grounds for dissolving a marriage. Yet somehow we seem to tolerate this abandonment or withdrawl in community and in relationships, even when it is abusive.

This also makes me think about my struggles in being a pastor, and why I still do what I do. Why? Because to reject the church, with all its ugliness and faults is to abandon the "sheep" or "children" I am called to love on his behalf. And that makes me as wrong as the people who use the church to push their agendas in an agressively forcing their way around. I dont pretend to be the savior of any church, but I am not about to pretend like I am powerless to make a difference either.

Alright....enough of my inner space ramblings....more of the normal fare to come.

2 comments:

JanetsJourney.com said...

Do you believe in a place called Hell?
Not sure�leaning towwards no...hoping for yes!

In what ways are things people believe about hell influence their behavior?
I don�t think people are influenced at all by believing in hell � think about it � if people truly believed that they would suffer eternal damnation � they would act better. Even the ones that preach about hell don�t truly believe in it � take the TV preacher caught in the motel room � it was not the first time he had been there � once maybe you could ask for forgiveness but it you keep on doing it you are not sorry � and not to worried about going to hell.

How do you deal with the fact that you may be "partying in the living room" (heaven) while your friends are "being tortured in the basement" (hell)?
If the love of my life is in hell and I am in heaven � is it heaven without him? Tough one! I don't know.

What does God's justice look like?
This is totally incomprehensible to me. I guess that is why I�m not GOD and GOD is GOD � hopefully he will be able to figure it out. I do know that if I get to heaven, I will be royally pissed if sitting next to me is some child molester or corrupt politician and I don't care if they ask for forgiveness or not. This is where reincarnation sounds good � make them come back as a cockroach that gets squished 1000 times.

Do you think God cares more about ideas or action?
To me these two are intertwined. So I guess he would care about both.

What do you all think?
My favorite line is to say � I don�t know! How anyone can �know� what God wants or desires, what faith is right and which ones are wrong, and what book is holy and which ones are pure crap seems to me, they have to be delusional. How can anyone KNOW! They don�t KNOW, they believe, but no one can KNOW - It is called faith for a reason.

We just need to do the best we can.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I like that comment, squareslant, "once maybe you could ask for forgiveness, but if you keep on doing it, you are not sorry, and not going to hell."

That's something more of us "perpetual sinners" need to remember. :) If we really believed we were sinning, would we still be doing it? Speaking from experience, I can only say that sometimes I just don't care anymore...

Very, very interesting answers.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...