Thursday, February 09, 2006

Its a strange new world

In my video below, if your computer allows you to play it, is a video of Matishayhu. He is a reggae artist, and also a Hassidic Jew. Would you even believed something could be a commercial success like this 10 years ago? I would not have believed it. But this strange combination of Carribean rhythyms and strict Jewish lifestyle collide to make a pretty interesting sound.

This weekend I was talking with a parent. He was picking up his daughter from our youth group, which she attends regularly. He was sharing how he appreciated all we do for his daughter, and also that he is not very religious. I nodded and smiled. I was about to say something and he went on to say, "Well....as a matter of fact, my wife and I are Wiccan." He smiled. I smiled. I said something about howI appreciated him trusting us enough to let us have his daughter in our youth group. He left. Then I looked to the parent whose children have been driving the daughter to youth group. He was also smiling. But he is Buddhist. As a matter of fact, before he married his formerly Catholic wife, he was studying to be a Buddhist monk. And I thought to myself, "Isn't this interesting, a Wiccan and a Buddhist bringing their kids to a Christian youth group, and a Baptist one at that! How in the heck did that happen?"

Then I watched this show on VH1 called In Race We Lust, which was all about interacial dating. And that multiracial children are becoming more of the norm. And I thought, how common would it be to have a whole TV show discussing and celebrating this 50 years ago. Not really that common would be my guess.

In our society, clear categories and labels are going to be harder and harder to come by. And juxtapositions like Hassidic Reggae and Wiccan/Baptist are going to be more and more common. And, I believe, even celebrated. Is that a good thing. Not always. Is that a bad thing. Not always. But more and more we are not going to be able to retreat into our enclosed communities, or assume everyone is like us, or even assume people are going to have the same logic about things that we have been accustomed to in the past. We are going to have to work with the drawbacks of these truths about our culture, and celebrate the fun and good things about them, or just become more and more disconnected from a world we are called to care for and love.

Something to think about....

14 comments:

Aphra said...

Thanks. Some very interesting thoughts indeed.

Gretchen said...

What an interesting combination. The wiccan that brings his daughter to the Baptist church.
Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

thinking :)

San Nakji said...

I am part of an interracial family. I thank you for your kind thoughts. Although I cannot see a bad side to this!

Friar. Have you noticed how much better your blog has become recently? I find myself practically hanging out for the nest post. You should be very proud.

Have a good weekend Friar.

Fahd Mirza said...

I agree with San, I am also hooked to it.

Friar Tuck said...

@sn--I think it some contexts the pressures of others could make some things difficult.

And, to those who are very clear and passionate about their label or identity, they might find it meaning less and less which could be a struggle.

In other words, I was trying to be sensitive

rubyslipperlady said...

hmmm. How do these children feel with parents of different faiths. Have the children committed their lives to Christ, are the searching for answers or are they just coming for the fun? Just wondering.

Friar Tuck said...

It depends. Some are just starting to come and enjoying what is being taught (the Wiccan family).

Some are more invested in the way of Jesus.

None are great Bible scholars or everything.

But I think everyone deals with this in one way or another. We all grow up in families with idols that are somewhere. Some are just more obvious than others.

The Western church is especially guilty of this, which is why the Christian faith is growing faster in Asia, South America, and Africa than it is in Europe and North America.

rubyslipperlady said...

Now, this just makes me miss TV. I don't need MTV in my world, but would be very interested in seeing a bit of this series.

I'm just struck by this post in a variety of ways.

hmmmm.

Friar Tuck said...

@ Amy--

I generally watch TV to wind down at night--which generally means about 10-11pm to 1-1am. And sports on the weekend.

So I spend 99% of my time at the following channels:
FOX NEWS
MSNBC
ESPN
ESPN2
E!
COURT TV
VH1
and CMT (mostly at gym while working out).

Occasionally I will slip to a network, or to MTV

Anonymous said...

Ah, you are such a wise man Clint. And yes, I am one of those "pagans" who sends her daughter to a Baptist church... (I prefer the term Christopagan if I must label myself at all).

This is a beautifully written post... I am wondering if I may link to your page on my blog?

Happiness.

sparrow said...

I am in love with this song! Have you heard the rest of the CD yet? I think I will have to add this my collection - just makes me so happy inside!

Yay!

Happy Day!

Anonymous said...

Growing up in NY, everything you describe was quite common. No offense, but you must have led either a pretty sheltered life, or have spent most of it in the sticks.

You really need to travel and see the world if these things have shocked you in this way.

peace.

Friar Tuck said...

Please do not leave anonymous posts without at least signing them somehow.

Some of these things shock me more than others.

The religious tolerance to me seems more new. As does Hassidic raggae.

The point of the post was to look toward a trend.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...