Sunday, February 26, 2006

Writing

At dinner at Panda Express to Amy I was talking about how I really needed to get to my blog. Amy had been reading a quote about technology and our dependance on it, and the first thing I thought is that I missed my computer. Which she had a hard time understanding I think. "But Clint...now you have real people to hang out with." she said. And her comments struck home. Was I being a hypocrite because I wanted to get back to a computer and make a post. Am I an addict? Is my blogging unhealthy socialization and keeping me from the real world? I pondered. Then I thought about how I had done the people thing for 8 hours straight. Which when it is direct interaction with a bunch of extroverts can sap me off energy. Especially when you get drug along to stores called Crabtree and Evelyn and the women's shoe section in Dillards. But that is for another post.

Then I discovered something about myself that I was really encouraged by. I wanted to get back here and write because I NEEDED TO WRITE. My writing here is sometimes very rough, but my experiences today and my absence from working on my blog helped me to realize that I am becoming a writer. Perhaps not a publishable one or even a good one in many people's opinion, but a writer nontheless. This is why I started my blog in the first place. And the thought of myself as a writer not by trade or by status, but just because that is part of who I am brought me immense joy.

7 comments:

San Nakji said...

Blogging is fun. As long as you don't let the computer rule your life, which is obviously doesn't, there is no harm in it. It's the 24 @ computer people that scare and worry me!

Anonymous said...

I used to find a whole lot more connection online than off...and then my online friends became my offline friends...does that still make me addicted? :-)

feels good b n FREE said...

u r all good!
keep writing!
i'm reading!

Len said...

You are now self-aware that you are a writer. Congratulations!

Viewing yourself as a writer can have a "sexy" feel to it but a secret that I have learned is being a writer is a burden to bear. You don't your cross for yourself but for others and some days you don't want to bear it, but you must.

Welcome to the world of self-discovery and self-disclosure, though you've been here a long time but now you know that you are a citizen! :-)

Gretchen said...

Clint, it's good to realize that about yourself. The "business" that you're in takes ALOT of extroverted energy and it sounds like you need some introvert time to re-fuel. That is so important.
I love to read your blog! It's good stuff.
In regards to your question on my blog, the big day is this Saturday! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

I find blogging to be more of a creative outlet than a meaningless time sink. It provokes thought and research, much more than conventional livingroom based forms of entertainment.

-NP
www.nprophet.com

rubyslipperlady said...

I understand, it's just not the way I am wired, part of the differences between the I & E in each of us. Glad you are enjoying the joy of the written word, but don't forget to use the spoken word as well.

And we hardly spent anytime in women's shoes! And it took longer in C&E because someone was ahead of me. So there.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...