Thursday, February 02, 2006

Life and Rhythym

All of life is about living in rhthyms I think.

We are born in a womb, and we live with the rhythym of a heartbeat. We grow older, we have the life rhythym of a school year. And most of live, whether we admit it or not, effected by the rhythyms of the seasons.

Many scientists who study such things believe that the noise of snoring is not what disturbs us when someone is snoring next to us in bed. Instead, what makes it difficult to sleep is that we like to breathe in rhythym with those that are around us. Snoring disrupts our biorhythyms.

And women, when they start living together, adapt the biorhythyms of those around them with their reproductive cycles. Usually, they adapt to the dominant female in the group.

Think about when men worked on chain gangs or building railroads. Don't they often adapt some sort of pattern to their movements and a rhythym to their days.

Is there any part of life that is not paced by some sort of rhythymic pattern?

What is the American slang term for when life seems unpleasantly chaotic? We often say we are out of sync. And what kinds of words is this root associated with. Syncopation (a rhythymic musical term) and Syncronicity. What do we call it when things seem to fit together for us? Harmony! A musical term where varied parts come together to make a beautiful but not uniform whole. Different parts, but the same rhythym to support it.

The habits we form, the way our body functions, the way we relate with others, all seem to have a "rhythym" to them.

How have you been feeling lately? Out of sync? Harmonious?

Do the different parts of your life seem to fit together?

Do you seem to have your heart, head, and life all heading in the same direction, or does your life seem dissonant?

Just a few thoughts. Would love to hear your response!

3 comments:

Fahd Mirza said...

I think I can understand this. In my profession, and I presume in every profession of creativity you have to have harmony in mind, body, environ and impulse to have work done.

I have often been in a situation where I have done my work in a jiffy because the harmony was there and I have also suffered a great trauma in doing trivial things when rythm wasnt there.

I thought it was just my idiosyncrasy but now it seems that I am not alone.

rubyslipperlady said...

I like a fast-paced rythm and slowing down is hard for me, it takes me a long while to get used to that slower pace and it makes me nervous. I enjoy it once I do, but it really takes awhile to get there.

Brea said...

Wow! Great post. I guess that is why meditation works so well - it get you in touch with your own life rhythym. For me, it is solitary outdoor activities. Perhaps that is why I have such miserable winters - I don't go outside much.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...