Friday, November 18, 2005

7-11 Scruples or How I broke one of the Ten Commandments or Dumpster Diving with the Friar

This Friar keeps odd hours, and has a weak spot for slurpees. So a couple of times this week I have stopped in at 7-11 on my way home at around midnight.

The last couple of weeks there has been a new clerk on the night shift, and as usual I try to make small talk, ask about their kids, and all that. One night she was listening to Spanish-speaking rap that her son had made. But somehow this woman has taken a liking to me. And, if I wasn't confident enough in my unattractiveness I might even say she is attracted to me. (Dont get to excited out there you matchmakers, she is about 20 years my senior and missing a few teeth)

Anyway....lately she has been giving me free food when I come in. One night I came in and she was clearing the taquitos, and she offered me all that they had left. "Just don't tell my bosses or I will get fired," she said.

Now did I accept the taquitos? H*LL YES I DID. But, I felt guilty about it for a couple of hours afterward.

Last night the same thing happened. She was clearing the deli section of expired merchandise that she was going to have to throw away, and she asked me to just take all the sandwiches and hot pockets I wanted. Did I take this gift after recieving the taquitos a couple of nights before? H*LL YES I DID. As I left she was like, now this is between you and me. Then she smiled and winked. I said thanks and goodbye.

I keep wondering, is this stealing, or simply being resourceful? They are going to throw it all away anyhow!!

What would you do, and do you think I am stealing by taking something they are going to throw away anyhow with their employees permission?

4 comments:

Drea Inspired said...

Yes, she was going to throw it away.

Yes, it was going to be wasted.

Yes, it is against store policy.

Do those things really matter? NO!

You feel guilty. That's all that matters. Your gut will usually lead you in the right direction.

:| raven |: said...

i have never understood the wasted food theory from stores ... they would rather THROW IT AWAY than to give it to a food bank or a homeless shelter where it could be gratefully consumed.

we are a nation of excessive waste.

you didn't steal it .. it was given to you. if someone who works at a store gets you a gift and gives it to you .. are you stealing? no.

if she had taken one more step in the equation and thrown it away outside and then you took it ... is that stealing? no.

see-through faith said...

:(

I can't understand the policy.
nice that you are befriending her!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

It's not stealing but if it's true that she could get in trouble for it then it's a bad idea. Plus, I've learned that it is never a good idea to accept gifts from a person who might have a crush on you. Creates weirdness.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...