Monday, November 07, 2005

How much is too much

I have had several discussion on blogs, with people, on the phone that all seem to be wrapping themselves around a theme of the week. Even the sermon at church on Sunday was about it--kinda. The question seems to be, when do maintain the loyal and longsuffering nature of loving our friends and enemies, and when do we just move on (or say f**k them).

First of all, I need to be honest. I have the ability to annoy just about everyone. If I have not made you angry at one point or another, than you simply do not know me very well! I am opinionated and somewhat sensitive. And, although I have diplomatic skills, there are points where I just get fed up with having to use them in every relationship I have.

On the flipside, I get to a point where I am just about always angry at everyone I am in a relationship at one point or another. People don't necessarily see this because my "Friar Tuck" personna can come across as jolly and fun-loving. Or as a dumb jock in my younger years. You have to really get to know me to know the person that feels everything deeply and thinks about everything intensely.

A result of this sensitive, self-aware, intense personality is that I tend to be a softy. Here at work we have people come in all the time saying they need money for this and that. Our church does not give money to people off of the street. But, if people throw me a good sob story I will probably buy them a bus pass or even give them money for a little booze to take the edge off a three-day bender.

So, I tend to try and hold on to friendships even when they are not that good for me. I do better in maintaining friendships that are in some way in front of me. But I hold on even when it gets to the point where I feel I am being taken for granted and used. I feel its my duty to stay in that friendship somehow. Probably because I have moved around enough that I have not maintained that many friendships. On the other hand, when I look at the other men I know, I do better with long term friendships than most.

As I am getting older, I think I am getting better at speaking my mind and establishing boundaries. Where I struggle with this is in my work.

I love what I do. In ministry I have felt like God has been calling me to places where he needs me, which generally means that I go to a place that has a lot of challenges to deal with. In those moments of challenge, there are points where I have felt attacked, mistreated, taken for granted, belittled, and completely devalued. It hurts. But sometimes it is being loyal to that friendship and relationship that has shown the greatest dividends. Former enemies have become friends. Negative regard has turned to positive regard. Barriers in relationships and in our mission have come falling down. Simply by longsuffering love.

These days though, I am still trying to figure out where my boundaries are. When does it come to a point where I say enough is enough and move on? In personal relationships and in relationship to a church as one of its minsiters?

Here is what I have come up with:

1. Consistent dishonesty and disloyalty to me as a person is something I have a hard time tolerating. Constructive criticism is hard for me, but I can handle it. Constant personal attacks and cutting me off at the knees I am not sure I should tolerate.

2. When I come to the point where I feel completely devalued and dehumanized in a relationship, that relationship in some sense becomes abusive. So if my voice is not listened to. If my feelings are not even in the equasion in a relationship, I get the sense that this relationship is not healthy. I do not think that is rocket scientist.

what other things would you add? when do you think are important times to hold on to relationships, even when they are negative in the moment? What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I have the same issue with boundaries in friendships and relationships. And it sucks. Especially in ministry.

I think that on a professional level, I'm making decisions daily on who I will spend my time on and who I won't. And when I evaluate my actions, it comes down to investment. Do they invest themselves in the relationship? Do I want to invest my time in them? Is this worth the money I'm being paid to spend my time with this person, or would my time be better spent with someone else? Am I the best person to help and/or befriend this person? Or would someone else be more uniquely gifted to help/assist/befriend them?

And then there's the interpersonal stuff...the investment still has to be there, but then there's a whole new level of questions when the negativity comes in. Are they interested in my needs, or are they being purely selfish? Is it my responsibility as a friend to confront their behavior, or let it slide? Is this a "turn the other cheek" situation, or are they sinning against me? Am I sinning against them? Why would God put me in their life or them in mine? What is the purpose of this relationship?

But I like your questions, too. I'm always interested to hear how others handle these situations.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you both on this. I don't find it easy, I hate being taken for granted, I cannot cope with a friend who gives little of their time or energy into a friendship, and eventually I will withdraw, and I hate doing that.

In ministry - and teaching - we are not there primarily to be liked, (though it helps) and sometimes the pastor or leader is treated like a punch bag, as if they should not have any feelings at all.

I find criticism hard to handle - esp when it's meanly given. The solution - I guess to take each instance to God, for the wisdom of how to handle it, for the protection that it won't flare up old wounds, and for healing of those old wounds too, so that we won't always react out of our woundedness.

I wish friendship was an easy, straight forward thing, but in my experience it isn't - and yeah (though I hate this too) some -even deep adn good friendships - are only for a season. :(

Brea said...

I think you already know my feelings on relationships.

Drea Inspired said...

Hey!

I would have to say that honesty is the glue that holds ANY relationship together...whether it be romantic or family. There are many family members that I just can't deal with because they are liars! I love them, but I've gone as far as I can trying to help them.

I'll respond to your tag soon....it's crazy over here!

Anonymous said...

honesty and trust take a life time to build and a second to shatter sometimes, and from there we just need to start building again, through the hurt and the pain. And it's not easy.

Friar Tuck FYI I'll be updating my blogroll nearer Christmas. I just did it and now I wait until it settles and see what I'm reading consistently again. I try to keep the list short and workable - sorry if that's not quite how you do yours, but hope you can understand? hugs to you

rubyslipperlady said...

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=4948x&event=1033RNF|30949|1033

I haven't read any of the Boundaries books myself (been busy reading other things) but trust some who have and say they are valuable.

Friar Tuck said...

Read it.
Own it.
Share it with friends.
Still I find these issues hard.

rubyslipperlady said...

Didn't say is the answer, just hopefully an arrow in the right direction. Big hugs to you.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...