Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A MUST SEE MOVIE!!

Last night I went to see the movie WALK THE LINE. I LOVED IT



I usually do not expect much from biopics, but since Johnny Cash is one of my favorite musicians I decided to give it a chance. It was a fantastic movie!

Obviously, I do not think Juaquin Pheonix and Johnny Cash have a spitting image resemblance. But much like Will Smith in Ali and Jamie Foxx in Ray, there are moments where the mannerisms and body language were so well studied that for a moment you swore you were looking at a young Johnny Cash for a moment.

The movie surprised me. Why? First, June and Johnny's son was an executive producer, and they were really upfront on the sourcing being fron Cash's autobiography and an an official biography.

Also, I thought the movie was very open about Cash's shortcomings. His philandering at times. His teetering on the edge of sanity at other times. His drug addiction. Yet the movie discussed all these without overemphasizing them or glorifying his negative behavior.

The portrayal of Cash was not perfect. I think Pheonix always comes across as a little mentally unstable in his movies. It is the case in this movie as well. At times it works for the part. But something is a little off at points. I guess I just think of Johnny as a little more of a man's man that Juaquin is capable of portraying at points.

Really, if one is honest, this movie is less about Johnny, and more about the power of June in Johnny's life.
I ran into some folks from church on an anniversary date that watched the movie at the same time, and they were moved to tears at several points in the movie. And as much as it pains me to say it, Reese Witherspoon has given a performance worthy of an Oscar nomination. And, in many ways this movie is an odd romance as much as it is a strict biopic.

Other aspects of character development were intriguing. An interesting dynamic of the life of Johnny that the movie does an EXCELLENT JOB at picking up on is the effect of the death of his brother Jack had on Johnny's life. Also, WALK THE LINE did an excellent job of playing out the strained relationship between Johnny and his father.

I thought, however, that at points they conflated the story of Johnny's life a little too much. Especially in the phase where he was in recovery from his drug addiction, and the spiritual experience that led to that place.

All in all though, I would say it is the second best movie of the year.

The best: BATMAN BEGINS

4 comments:

San Nakji said...

I haven't seen Walk the Line as movies released in America don't get here until months, I mean months! later... However, I think Batman is awesome. I seem to recall two other movies this year I really enjoyed... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Wallace and Gromit, have you seen them?

Friar Tuck said...

No I have not

San Nakji said...

Well..... you should!

SUPER said...

I want to see this flick..it's not here yet. Januea saw it and said it was awesome!
Gotta love the Man in Black!

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...