Thursday, September 08, 2005

No Perfect People Allowed



This is a book I have been wanting to get for a long time and just picked up recently. It is fascinating.
It is written by a former staff person at Willow Creek that is now at Gateway Community Church in Austin TX.
There are several sections on how the church deals with key issues that are hot buttons within the church, such as cohabitation, addiction, religious diversity, and much more. But at the center of this book, as hinted at by the title, is creating a COME AS YOU ARE culture.
This fascinates me. And I find it so true with me and the people that I meet. It is the type of culture that you create in churches that makes all the difference in those churches. Do I feel understood and accepted? Do I believe that the people around me are authentic and honest?
This book teaches leaders and churches to explore these issues. More to come.... Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

I encourage you to read The Barbarian Way. I'm in the middle of it now. Quick read. Fairly pointed and somewhat painful.

Friar Tuck said...

I have read the Barbarian Way.

rubyslipperlady said...

have we had this conversation?

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Do I feel understood and accepted? Do I believe that the people around me are authentic and honest?

I absolutely agree! There aren't a lot of people who can stick it out at a church long enough to invistigate the claims of Christianity if this kind of community doesn't exist.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...