Thursday, April 21, 2005

Imbalanced

After reading Heather's post on wondering if she is too busy (a valid concern from the sounds of it), several people started talking about the necessity of balance.

I hate the word balance when it talks to life. It is like the word moderate when one speaks of politics. Both are passionless words. And, passionlessness to me is death.

Now, I am not always the guy to wear my heart on my sleeve. I can be downright stoic and detached at times. But, I have no concept for balancing my life so that my faith is one little segment, and my work is another little segment, and my friendships are another little segment. ICK!

For me life is life, and I throw my self into life with all my heart. And, my identity as person who has dedicated my life to loving others and loving God with all my heart. It is not something that I do with part of my life, it is something that drives my whole life.

Here are a couple of things other people have wrote that better summarize what I have to say:

I am part of the "Fellowship of the Unashamed."
The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line.
The decision has been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ.
I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.
My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure.
I am finished and done with low living, sight walking,
small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams,
chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position,
promotions, plaudits, or popularity.
I now live by presence, lean by faith, love by patience,
lift by prayer, and labor by power.
My pace is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven,
my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions few,
my Guide reliable, my mission clear. I cannot be bought,
compromised, deterred, lured away, turned back,
diluted, or delayed.

I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the
presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy,
ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander
in the maze of mediocrity.

I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I must go until
Heaven returns, give until I drop, preach until all know,
and work until He comes. And when He comes to get
His own, He will have no problem recognizing me.
My colors will be clear.


From Nelson Mandela's Innaugral Address:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?... Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory of God within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - From Nelson Mandela's inaugural speech (1994)-

1 comment:

Oricon Ailin said...

I think I shall remember a sermon that was given in church last year. If I would just apply the simple idea from the sermon, all would be well.

I think I'll go blog about it now.

Clint, thank you so much for all your help! I'm actually touched that something I said became a bit of a topic of discussion. *blushes*

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...