Saturday, April 16, 2005

To be wild or to be in community?!

I have often thought of something a friend said to me last month.

Clint, it is like something is trying to break you, to rob you of your spirit, to tame you somehow. And you know what, I don't like it! Look at you! You used to dress all bright and cheery and fun. Now look at you. Its not right.

(The dress thing is referring to a change from Van's and Rainbows with Beach Shirts to sweater vests with dress shirts, ties, and loafers when I met with her.)

My life is about my choices. The question is, am I allowing myself to be domesticated, tamed and the like. I had laid this to rest...until another person said something to me.

In comparing me to a predecessor in my position, someone had told me that the predecessor was like "a big kid" but that I was a little too serious for my own good. He further went on to say that this other person had gotten a little too serious in recent years.

Now, this normally would not have affected me too much. Except that is what people used to say about me. Oh, Clint is such a "big kid". He is so "jolly". Now I am being labeled as overly serious. I am not sure what to think.

So the question remains, Is my Spirit being broken? Like a horse in training, is the fun, range-roving, wild side of my person and my faith being taken from me? Or am I surrendering it.

I dont know. I think my "big kid" is just a little more hidden these days. I think maybe in some ways I am trying to trade being playful for being respected, at least 9-5 on Monday-Friday and 9-noon on Sunday. Or maybe I am just growing up. Or playing the role I need to play intuitively. I am not sure.

It something I am still trying to figure out, but it is something that keeps flashing through my mind during my prayer time, so it must be weighing heavy on my heart for some reason.

1 comment:

Oricon Ailin said...

Clint, this is sorta the same thing I am going through. I have had a few friends tell me some things that have really made me question who I am.

The best advice I can give you on this is...Listen to your heart. Do what is right for you and what makes you feel good about yourself.

I think you are a tremendous and very wonderful person. Don't let others get you down. Don't do what I have done the past few weeks, and work yourself into a frenzy or make yourself upset over the things others say.

I, like Citrus, think you are a delight to know. And, I as well agree...I'd love to meet you someday.

*smiles*

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...