Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Teetotaller's Tavern

Once again, to kill some time on my day off I went to the bookstore to skim some books. I grabbed a stack, and sat down near the coffee shop. And, once again, I found what I always find at this Starbucks. A bunch of loud Bible Thumpers.

Now, you might say that since I am a clergyperson that I would think this is a good thing. Infact, it was annoying. Well, not entirely annoying, as the people watching became very interesting from a people watching perspective. But they did frustrate me, anger me, and in general kind of piss me off.

Then I came to the realization that for these self-assured, loud, outspoken fundamentalists, the coffee shop is as close to the bar as they will ever get. (not so with me....I have the name Friar Tuck for a reason ya know.) Like Franklin Graham on speed, they kept arguing with a guy who believed differently than them by quoting proof texts every other sentence. Just like the sports fan spouting random facts about their team.

The better looking Christian women were surrounded by young men with copies of the Purpose-Driven Life (to look with it) and The Imitation of Christ (to look deep, spiritual, and intellectual) trying to discuss their recent Myers-Briggs and how it related to their spirtual life, the fine details of Creation Science, and how they wish they were born 40-50 years ago instead of today (but they are glad they were born today so they can help bring the world back to those days.) They complained about things as being "too much fun" and "not serious enough".

I guess if it was not so familiar I might have found it refreshing or charming. But I have been around these little Christian enclaves throughout college and in the ministry, and as a minister even have never really felt like I fit with them. Especially with this crowd, just a mile away from Focus on the Family headquarters. And as I watched them all I kept thinking is, these people really need a couple of beers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I was born 40-50 years ago!

Focus on the Family headquarters? You must be in beautiful Colorado Springs! I was there on a business trip a couple of years ago. I lived there from 1980-1982.

The group you describe sounds like a bunch of college or seminary kids. I was one of those once.

We played mind games and discussed issues that we thought needed to be explored, but in the end - none of that mattered. This realization didn't hit any of us till we grew up.

Give them a beer? Please don't - if you do, they will be repenting in public for the next 20 years. All they need to do is grow up!

For free entertainment, get a friend and approach the group. Tell them that you are an atheist and your friend is the anti-christ. -OR- Introduce yourself as a Bishop, Reverend, or Dr.(of Divinity). Either way, they will stumble all over themselves... Challenge their beliefs - it will make them stronger and maybe introduce some humility into them.

Yes, I have done this to the "cool, intelluctual group", but before leaving I usually tell them who I really am.

allen

Friar Tuck said...

Great to hear from you Allen!

How did you find the blog? Did I send you the address?

Oricon Ailin said...

I don't mind Bible discussions and such. But, the first thing I wonder about people like you described is..."How much of this do they actually live in their lives? Are they just all talk or do they actually walk the walk?"

Please, Clint, if I ever get to be like that...tell me to shut up and drink a Starbucks! hehehe

Blessings!

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I agree with Sally. This inspires some unfortunate memories.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...