Sunday, April 17, 2005

Movies and Moby

Unrelated to the previous post.....

Much of what I like to listen to with popular music I listen to for two reasons. One, I like the message of the song....it moved me somehow. Or, it is simply fun!

Generally with movies though, I watch it with more of an attention to what it is trying to say to me artistically. I want it to speak to something in my life. I want the story of the movie to unite to something in my story as a human being. This is why both Napolean Dynamite and Sin City drove me nuts. No compelling story. But it is also why I did not get that excited about Sahara. It was just a funny action movie. Escapism. Generally I want something a little bit more, or I want to laugh at stuff like I have never laughed before (see Dodgeball and Anchorman for examples of this type of movie that I loved.).

However, I have bought my first concept music album recently. It is the new HOTEL album by Moby. Read what he wrote about the theme of his album.


the title 'hotel' is mainly inspired by the idea of the temporary, specifically temporary relationships. perhaps you're familiar with the experience of having a relationship that is warm and loving and filled with respect and attraction, but that, in the end of the day, doesn't work? so you're in the relationship but you know that you're going to have to leave. it almost makes the warmth and the intimacy of the relationship that much stronger and that much more intense knowing that it's temporary.

everything in our lives is temporary, including our lives themselves, obviously. but the intimacy of loving, but temporary, relationships was one of the inspirations for the 'hotel' title and idea. we stay in hotels for brief periods of time. they are places where we live but that are not our homes.


Maybe I am getting too serious if I am getting and really enjoying music that makes me think. Then again, Jimmy Buffet makes me think too.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...